What do you regret not photographing when you had the chance?

Sanford

I live near a small town in the distant suburbs of Philadelphia. Most of the area was settled by Mennonites in the 18th century. Back maybe in 1970 or so, an intersection I frequently traveled through had a building with ancient looking gas pumps in front and a sign indicating kerosene was sold there. One day I wanted some kerosene and stopped in. There was the proprietor who could have been 90, and a woman customer of similar age, jabbering in the Pennsylvania "Dutch" dialect. The kerosene came from one of those pumps where you hand cranked to fill a glass cylinder to the desired amount then drained it into the customer's container. Much of the wall space looked like a museum of leather harnesses. It appeared that gas and kerosene was just to supplement a harness and leather repair business. The experience was like dropping back a half century or more.

Fast forward a few more years, I came through that intersection on my way home from work to discover the place was about 50% demolished. Work had stopped for the day but the equipment was sitting in the yard. It was sort of like looking into a doll house with one open side. A second floor bathroom was partially ripped out but the hopper was still sitting there. It seemed like such a sad ending. I went on home, and dinner was ready, so I sat down and ate. To this day every time I go through that intersection I wish I had loaded a camera and gone back there. (By end of the following day when I came home from work it was leveled.)

Edited by dave_thomas8
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dave_thomas8 said:

I live near a small town in the distant suburbs of Philadelphia. Most of the area was settled by Mennonites in the 18th century. Back maybe in 1970 or so, an intersection I frequently traveled through had a building with ancient looking gas pumps in front and a sign indicating kerosene was sold there. One day I wanted some kerosene and stopped in. There was the proprietor who could have been 90, and a woman customer of similar age, jabbering in the Pennsylvania "Dutch" dialect. The kerosene came from one of those pumps where you hand cranked to fill a glass cylinder to the desired amount then drained it into the customer's container. Much of the wall space looked like a museum of leather harnesses. It appeared that gas and kerosene was just to supplement a harness and leather repair business. The experience was like dropping back a half century or more.

Fast forward a few more years, I came through that intersection on my way home from work to discover the place was about 50% demolished. Work had stopped for the day but the equipment was sitting in the yard. It was sort of like looking into a doll house with one open side. A second floor bathroom was partially ripped out but the hopper was still sitting there. It seemed like such a sad ending. I went on home, and dinner was ready, so I sat down and ate. To this day every time I go through that intersection I wish I had loaded a camera and gone back there. (By end of the following day when I came home from work it was leveled.)

Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, Ocean Avenue in Carmel, this real estate has become far to valuable to leave as a bunch of falling down old buildings. Cities try to maintain the look and feel of the original buildings but one look at the old photos show only partial success. Maybe in another 50 years ocean front wear and tear will return some of the patina.

Here, in Tucson, there isn't even the pretense of saving the Old Pueblo look. Those old buildings are either brought down or transformed into high rise student/office worker apartment lofts with large balconies having wet towels, bicycles and folding lounge chairs decorating the view.

One recent shot I regret not taking was in the San Rafael Valley, just North of the border. At a dirt crossroad there was an enormous old faded blue USAF grader that the local ranchers used to top off the roads after the rains. It was a marvel of giant exposed gearing, unmuffled engine, and a 3" thick steel plate turntable for the blade. No design considerations for safety or efficiency of course. It sat there like an exhausted old work mule abandoned to the meadow.

I looked it over of course, but got involved in a group of Kestrals cart-wheeling nearby and left without a shot. We've been back twice but wherever it's in use we couldn't find it. 

• Like 1

Why do I say things...

I was at Times Square, up in the Marriott Marque, when Bin Laden was eliminated. I'd been down on the square shooting and came back up to the room around 10p.m. and the wife said that there's going to be a big announcement. So I lay on the bed, but it was delayed and delayed again and I fell asleep, without my wife waking me. 100-heet from me was the epicenter of celebration by FDNY! I missed a once in a lifetime celebration.

• Like 1

For years, I drove past an old cabin next to a meandering stream that I thought would make a great photograph. The lighting never seemed quite right or I was in too big of a hurry to get where I was going. Then, suddenly, the cabin was torn down. Now, when I drive past that stream, I think of the opportunity missed.

• Like 1