The Yashica 44LM and the Japanese Camera Inspection Institute

I acquired this Yashica 44LM at a local auction a few months ago. It came with its original box, ever ready case, instruction manual, lens cap and strap, even with a Yashica silica gel sac The LM was the last of the Yashica 127 TLR's, with a somewhat futuristic styling. However the operation is anything but futuristic, the Selenium meter gives a reading up to 10, which then needs to be transferred manually on to a calculator on the winding knob, then the settings are applied via the Rollei style setting knobs on the front. Laborious! In the absence of 127 film I don't think I will be shooting with it.

Also it came with its numbered Japan Camera Inspection Institute badge.

From Camera Wiki: The Japan Camera & Optical Instruments Inspection & Testing Institute was founded in 1954. It is based in Tokyo. Its task is to establish and to control quality standards of Japanese cameras and other optical goods that are made for export. In 1969 the Institute started the preservation of historically important camera items. Nowadays the name of the Institute is Japan Camera Industry Institute (JCII). For the public the Institute offers a camera museum, a photo salon, and a library.

That's it, thanks for looking.

44k.jpg

44.jpg

44ac.jpg

• Like 4

What a lovely camera, John.  It seems a shame not to shoot with it.  Regarding 127 film, I recently shot my first ever roll of ReraPan 400 and was happy with the results.  The price however, ouch!  Once I use up my remaining three rolls, I'm going to try cutting down 120 film.

Thanks to all for the responses and comments. To be honest, for various reasond  it's around three years since I shot any film, 127 or otherwise. Here's the numbered side of the JCII medallion, and the camera identification page in the manual, showing that it was purchased in 1963 from Lewis's, a former large department store in Leicester.

I forgot to mention that the leather strap has special clasps which engage with the propriety strap lugs  seen on the side of the camera. Similar in some ways to the Rollei scissor strap.

Thanks again.

IDPN.jpg

Edited by John Seaman
  • Like 3

That certainly is a nice package. Feeling a little envy I even cruised ePrey the other night to see what's out there. But alas, at my age I should be reducing the collection, not adding, and the film supply situation also dampens things a bit. So (at least this week) I tell myself 4x4 isn't enough gain over 35mm image-wise to justify it. I have its big brother, a 124G which I quite like and had CLA'd a few years back. I use it quite a bit so Yashica is indeed represented in the "stuff" here!

Heh, the baby Rolleiflexes appear to be a bit more reasonably priced than the big ones -- maybe I should [Slap! Slap! Wake up!!!!] 😨