It’s News To Me

A big part of the fun I get out of photography comes in finding new artists I’ve never heard of. It sure seems endless, so many people across the ages. So a couple days ago I saw this photo

IMG_8651.jpeg.0597be0edd339d586fb3a42ed729d5c7.jpeg

and also saw the photographer was Jo Ann Callis. Who? Well. Her work is intriguing, enticing, eye opening, & fun. 

I went thru almost all if not all the galleries and really liked pretty much everything. 
Here’s one of her galleries that I particularly like. I find this stuff fascinating in its hyper real oddity. 

Jo Ann Callis  

• Like 1

Until recently, I had never heard of her either, or her impact on the perception of femininity as it is expressed in photography.  After reading an article on her work in this and other images, I am now on a re-read of John Pultz's "The Body and The Lens: Photography 1839 to the Present."  Here is the article and interview with her:

"This uncomfortable portrait of femininity has resonated for four decades"

• Like 2

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

15 hours ago, c_watson1 said:

Guess you seldom read CNN Style or the NYT...

So given the cryptic and somewhat snarky response--you do, and this creator has been featured in articles to be found in those outlets.  

Care to share, and add something to the discussion?  🤔

I gave up on the NYT when their paywall reached $25USD a month.  That's gas money for a day out wandering and making images!  

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

On 11/22/2023 at 6:03 PM, c_watson1 said:

Guess you seldom read CNN Style or the NYT...

Yeah I very rarely read any of that. Yet I seem to constantly discover new artists.

The problem (for me) with subscriptions is too much of the content goes unseen, unread. I tend to zero in on whatever interests me and forgo putting any energy into what usually turns out to be the bulk of the subscription’s offerings. And in the case of “hard” publications like newspapers, periodicals, n stuff, it ends up generating trash. It’s all just throw-away reading and for the most part it doesn’t fit my lifestyle. I do have a handful of news apps and in the “back pages” of most of them are “lifestyle” and other sections….  I mostly don’t peruse them either.

In today’s world, there are plenty of sources for finding new things. Many of us are being pulled in many directions in our daily lives, and traditional media stuff just doesn’t work. 

Fine and understood. I still get paper and online with the NYT and The New Yorker, both old comforts wherever I'm roosting. Both, though, offer "enriched" online versions that make a subscription worthwhile, Suppose I believe "pay more get more" actually does work in these cases.

• Like 1