FotoFora

Sanford

47 minutes ago, Sanford said:

I think I have to compare Flickr, Zenfolio, Smubmug and see what they have to offer.

OK.  FotoFora is different from those, as it is not an "image storage bucket" for thousands of a particular members images, but rather a place to post, comment, discuss, and build friendships around our love of photography.

• Like 2

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

On 11/9/2023 at 11:45 AM, PapaTango said:

OK.  FotoFora is different from those, as it is not an "image storage bucket" for thousands of a particular members images, but rather a place to post, comment, discuss, and build friendships around our love of photography.

So in other words it Photo.Net with a different name and URL.

• Excellent! 1

@Ricochetrider Do you remember the wonderfully working software we had from 2016 until October of last year?  Or are you a member of Photrio.com?

Both of these were/are Xenforo.  The one peculiarity that XF has is that while it supports full "drag & drop" in the forums--galleries and albums require manual file manager placement of images.  

So, while this feature is missing in the galleries and albums, there are literally a dozen other features and conveniences that XF offers over Invision, which is PN's platform.  Nothing wrong, just how things work in different places.

Beginning next month, FF will be debuting a "Photo of the Month" contest, fairly identical to what was had here before.  Stay tuned...  🤔

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

Was just over there (FotoFora). Looked around, made some comments, and uploaded a few images from my phone’s photo albums 

I tend to drag n drop on my desktop. Many of my photos exceed the file size allowance however (4mb, IIRC). Most of my photos are stored in Zenfolio, but not all are. Therefore, I can mostly make do with posting via a url. But not always. AND from my phone a url designation is posted as “http” and out of my desktop as “https”. P.Net only accepts the https version so when posting out of Zenfolio with my phone I always  have to go back and add the “s”. 

16 minutes ago, Ricochetrider said:

Was just over there (FotoFora). Looked around, made some comments, and uploaded a few images from my phone’s photo albums 

I tend to drag n drop on my desktop. Many of my photos exceed the file size allowance however (4mb, IIRC). Most of my photos are stored in Zenfolio, but not all are. Therefore, I can mostly make do with posting via a url. But not always. AND from my phone a url designation is posted as “http” and out of my desktop as “https”. P.Net only accepts the https version so when posting out of Zenfolio with my phone I always  have to go back and add the “s”. 

The max file 'size' for upload in FF is 8 Mb, although I can't think of a good reason to upload a file that size.  The other 'image size'  maximum "edge" has been raised to 4500px from the previous 2400px.  

Also, forum tennis fans, the edit time on posts, personal messages, and comments has been increased from 30 minutes to 45.  You will note too that link embedding is supported in the forums, galleries, and albums, and gallery/album images can be embedded in forum posts.

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 1

"I See Things..."

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, LensofNature said:

I tried registering with the FotoFora but could not receive a verification email.  Now everything is stuck in limbo.

Your registration approval is complete.  Please read the accompanying PM, and sorry about the inconvenience.  Our emails are being refused by your Bell Canada email server,

This also sometimes occurs with Microsoft related accounts such as Outlook.com, MSN.com, and hotmail.com.   

"I See Things..."

34 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

Your registration approval is complete.  Please read the accompanying PM, and sorry about the inconvenience.  Our emails are being refused by your Bell Canada email server,

This also sometimes occurs with Microsoft related accounts such as Outlook.com, MSN.com, and hotmail.com.   

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Sanford said:

And yet we are "encouraged" to follow every rule laid out by those long gone. Excuse me while post some words on the "No Words" forum...

As I see it, those rules have faired well over the years and helped create the PN space we're all used to and have been using effectively. Long gone though the creators of those rules may be, we're still encouraged to follow them by current volunteer moderators. If you want to start a mostly-picture-oriented thread with more words than a simple introduction to your photo (which is allowed in No Words), and you'd like a little back-and-forth discussion, start a thread somewhere else besides No Words. Plenty of outlets for that. Does the meaning of the simple phrase "No Words" escape you? It's one of the most popular features on PN and runs quite well and smoothly. Why degrade it?

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1
  • Yes! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Was I wrong to assume Sanford was being ironic? Just in case he was suggesting we ignore the NW guidelines my opinion is that we should not mess with what has been the most used/successful forum around here for a long time.

We need to use FotoFora to ensure it thrives, folks have been calling the end of PN for many years. It is my hope that both will last for as long as me (and beyond). I would also like to thank Patrick and all his supporters.....GC.

Edited by Gerald Cafferty
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Gerald Cafferty said:

Was I wrong to assume Sanford was being ironic? Just in case he was suggesting we ignore the NW guidelines my opinion is that we should not mess with what has been the most used/successful forum around here for a long time.

We need to use FotoFora to ensure it thrives, folks have been calling the end of PN for many years. It is my hope that both will last for as long as me (and beyond). I would also like to thank Patrick and all his supporters.....GC.

Sorry but PN's issues will just transfer intact to FF, especially if who I see moving there bring their baggage along. No thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, c_watson1 said:

Sorry but PN's issues will just transfer intact to FF, especially if who I see moving there bring their baggage along. No thanks.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way.  I suppose that means one less trunk of junk to move around...

"I See Things..."

On 12/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, c_watson1 said:

Can you specify, please, what exactly you think the issues with PN are? I've been here a while, not seeing anythings I'd ID as problems. As for FotoFora, i have a profile there and have made some posts... I'll check in over there peroiodically, nice site & all... but honestly there's only so much time in a day. Unless this site absolutely cronks out 100%, You'll most likely see me here, more than you'll see me over there.  

• Like 1