Regarding Spur Acurol-N

After quite some experimentation, I'm achieving consistent results with the Spur Acurol-N developer. It's unlike any other developer I've used, in that very small variations in dilution of the stock solution, development times and the agitation regime can all produce quite dramatic change in terms of negative density and contrast. I've used mainly Arista EDU Ultra 100 in my trials, as it's an emulsion I'm very familiar with and can therefore make comparisons with the way it reacts with other developers. It's also reasonably economical!

So, I've arrived at a point where I'm getting consistent results by adhering to a strict development routine. I've rated the film speed at 100 ISO over the several cameras used and this appears to be satisfactory, rather to my relief as I wasn't wanting to add alterations in film speed to the equation. Anyway, I'm impressed by the results I'm now routinely achieving. 

The images have quite a distinctive look to them with a very full range of tones along with excellent highlight and shadow detail. The blacks are particularly strong, but with graduations of tone still present in the shadows. Definition is very high and grain is well controlled, certainly less than I've experienced using Rodinal which produces similar results. I've standardised on a 1-75 dilution rate, which makes for economical usage, and the very long shelf life is an important factor to be considered. While I may not switch entirely to Spur Acurol-N, I guess I will have to test it with the other films I routinely use, but at least I have an increased knowledge of the developers potential and have established development procedures in place.

Here are some sample images, not particularly artistic but taken in situations that would challenge film and development. All are from a 20-shot length of Arista EDU Ultra 100, using the trusty old Nikon F90X with a Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. First, a picture of the kit.

NikonF90Xcopy.jpg.106fdc3eb8d41841ab68bcc5623cbd2d.jpg

@Stem

@Stem.jpg.780581b3997ffce436ef3669b7aba73e.jpg

Bus Stop

BusStopcopy.jpg.81b98f4b42cbd031497c3fe287223bb9.jpg

Elements #60

Elements60copy.jpg.4e621cf6db9bf3337d253b1bbb3780ce.jpg

New Topographics

NewTopographics.jpg.81d261fa9d7d9715d0e0dca245ab5773.jpg

Gate

Gate.jpg.e0e5ee7cb0b3a4a4e4debf7ae0fe8424.jpg

Ray White

RayWhite.jpg.dadf87512a7ce326b3b52faf13bb8546.jpg

Floral

Floral.jpg.9771dc236abe9520ea0ecf21a52239f6.jpg

Saunders

Saunders.jpg.bfbc5f3f2fb5a5484ba3afefb5582683.jpg

Wind

Wind.jpg.2350e44ffefd5b1e0a1b49d0a137d838.jpg

Spring Shadows

springShadows.jpg.2dc1bf2a67811cf0a6b9c55380635072.jpg

• Like 1
  • Very Nice 1

Hi Bruce, after introducing the developer I proceed with continuous gentle inversions for the first 30 seconds, followed by one gentle inversion every minute thereafter.

I'm using Paterson Tank System 4 tanks that require 300ml of fluid per 35mm film, and with a dilution rate if 1:75 I add 4ml of stock solution to the 300ml of water.

Development temperature is 20oC and I'm currently allowing 10 minutes development for the Arista EDU Ultra 100 film.

Hi Rick, after I changed to higher dilution (from 1+9 to 1+19) and reduced agitation (to control contrast), I found sometimes I have uneven development in the middle of roll.

I'm using the same Paterson System 4 tank like you do, but the main difference is that I do not invert. But instead, I use the middle twiddle for agitation (5 turns clockwise and 5 turns counterclockwise). And I typically do two rolls in one go, with 1000ml liquid.

I think the twiddle method does not bring enough fresh chemical to the frames in the middle of spindle. I will adjust my method in order to get more consistent results.

Thanks for taking the time to test and share your results, Rick.  Your images look good, especially considering the wide range of tones in each.  It's difficult to tell with downsized images but I suspect the grain structure is similar to HC-110 (dilution H).

How would you compare it to your PMK Pyro results?

Thanks, Gary. regarding a comparison with PMK Pyro development, it's hard to find words to describe the differences. I find the Acurol images to be "richer" or "meatier" with a very full range of strong tones. The pyro development is excellent for preserving both highlight and shadow detail, but the results often seem to lack "punch" or "pop". The Acurol images have very good blacks that still retain shadow detail, and appear to possess greater acutance without a large increase in apparent grain. "Stronger" might be one description!