Rolleiflex Strap Design — Can We Trust It?

stephen_mcateer

I've got a 3.5F with a third party "Scissors" strap. I tend to support the camera with my hand in use, as the design does seem a little unusual. However it has never actually lent me down. I'd be surprised if F&H would risk an unproven design.

It's hard to otherwise fit a strap due to the strap lugs being blocked by the part which engages with the scissors.

I use Tamrac straps with quick release attachments for all of my cameras, including 2 Rollei TLRs.  The fabric from these will go through the Rollei connector hardware on the camera bodies and they have held up well for 20+ years. Unfortunately, I don't think that Tamrac makes these any more. I would trust Rollei's straps to work as long as the leather of the strap itself was in good condition.  Too many vintage cameras have hit the floor because of dried out ancient leather straps.

• Like 1

The scissor-connector is a very clever design. The leather is more likely the potential culprit, especially if it is the original 40-60 years old strap. A saddler should be able to replace the leather if you have concerns.

On the other hand, any strap that you can fit through the space of the "scissors lug" will be perfectly fine. I used a simple Nikon nylon strap on my 3.5T during the first couple of years.

I do love the ease of removal the scissors allows and I have not had reason to doubt their durability.

• Like 1
Niels

2 hours ago, AJG said:

I use Tamrac straps with quick release attachments for all of my cameras, including 2 Rollei TLRs.  The fabric from these will go through the Rollei connector hardware on the camera bodies and they have held up well for 20+ years. Unfortunately, I don't think that Tamrac makes these any more. I would trust Rollei's straps to work as long as the leather of the strap itself was in good condition.  Too many vintage cameras have hit the floor because of dried out ancient leather straps.

Thanks for that. I'll look for Tamrac straps and see what I can find. (I use UpStrap straps on my other cameras and they're great.) The leather on my original Rollei strap looks okay but I'm not completely sure about trusting a camera worth this much to it.

Edited by stephen_mcateer

42 minutes ago, Niels - NHSN said:

The scissor-connector is a very clever design. The leather is more likely the potential culprit, especially if it is the original 40-60 years old strap. A saddler should be able to replace the leather if you have concerns.

On the other hand, any strap that you can fit through the space of the "scissors lug" will be perfectly fine. I used a simple Nikon nylon strap on my 3.5T during the first couple of years.

I do love the ease of removal the scissors allows and I have not had reason to doubt their durability.

@Niels - NHSN Thanks Niels. Yes it is a clever design. The leather on my strap is reasonable but not great. As I said above, I'm not completely comfortable with trusting a camera that's worth this much to it. I think I might remove an UpStrap from one of my other film cameras and see if it'll fit through the gap in the lugs. (I'm thinking the main reason for removing the strap frequently would be to put the ever-ready case on the camera — maybe I can just live without the case…)

On 10/23/2023 at 4:01 PM, robert_bowring said:

Do not trust any OLD leather strap. They can and will break at any time. There are a lot of good new straps available. I think the alligator type clips are fine and you can get new straps with them. 

Update: The UpStrap wuoldn't fit so I put the original leather Rollei one back on. It looks to be in reasonable condition. I'll just be careful with it I suppose. [Not sure I would entirely trust a Chinese one, mainly because the scissors clips are an unknown quantity.]

• 1 month later...