Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Planar — Is This Lens Any Better At Controlling Flare?

stephen_mcateer

@Niels - NHSN I haven't done an infinity test yet but it's on my to-do list. As you say, the picture of the light is in focus, yet the other one isn't — I therefore suspect it's just my wonky eyes that are at fault.  i'll know when I get the next roll of film back from the lab I suppose. [Incidentally, I found a saddler and have sent the Rollei strap to him to have the leather replaced. It was only £25.]

1 hour ago, stephen_mcateer said:

[Incidentally, I found a saddler and have sent the Rollei strap to him to have the leather replaced. It was only £25.]

Great to hear that!
It warms my heart when old well made things can be repaired for a second life.
Often the deciding factor against using local competent craft people (as opposed to buying new from dubious sources on the other side of the globe) is the price, but obviously not in this case: win-win 🙂 

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

Re the missed focus in some of your most recent test shots: most likely your assumption is correct (that you need a bit more practice nailing critical focus technique when using your Rollei). 

However, there's a slight chance you might have your new focus screen installed incorrectly. Normally this would lead to gross focus errors on film, far worse than what you've posted, but its worth double checking with Rick Oleson to make sure you have your new Britescreen installed as Rick recommends. There is a peculiar counter-intuitive orientation requirement when the current Oleson replacement screens are used in certain models of vintage medium format camera: they need to go in upside down (rough fresnel side facing up) vs the original camera screens (which are always smooth glass side up). 

I don't remember if the interchangeable screens for the Rolleiflex F series are just simple squares or include a handling/orientation tab. If it has a tab, of course it would only fit in the proper way, so your new screen is probably set up perfectly. But if its just a simple square, check with Rick to be completely sure which side he recommends should be face up with his Rolleiflex implementation. This point isn't entirely clear on his website, but several purchasers have reported back here that it can be confusing.

Edited by orsetto

19 hours ago, orsetto said:

Re the missed focus in some of your most recent test shots: most likely your assumption is correct (that you need a bit more practice nailing critical focus technique when using your Rollei). 

However, there's a slight chance you might have your new focus screen installed incorrectly. Normally this would lead to gross focus errors on film, far worse than what you've posted, but its worth double checking with Rick Oleson to make sure you have your new Britescreen installed as Rick recommends. There is a peculiar counter-intuitive orientation requirement when the current Oleson replacement screens are used in certain models of vintage medium format camera: they need to go in upside down (rough fresnel side facing up) vs the original camera screens (which are always smooth glass side up). 

I don't remember if the interchangeable screens for the Rolleiflex F series are just simple squares or include a handling/orientation tab. If it has a tab, of course it would only fit in the proper way, so your new screen is probably set up perfectly. But if its just a simple square, check with Rick to be completely sure which side he recommends should be face up with his Rolleiflex implementation. This point isn't entirely clear on his website, but several purchasers have reported back here that it can be confusing.

Okay thanks for that. The Oleson screen I have doesn't have a tab on it. Hadn't occurred to me that it might be fitted incorrectly. My feeling is it's probably just my eyes but I'll go and look at the Oleson website & see what I can see. Cheers.