Vintage glass plate separations

I witnessed the disposal of hundreds of historical items from a previous graphic arts program because the local printing company association advisory board deemed them worthless in the "Digital Age". I rescued two sets of glass plate separations (class projects) that were evidently produced by tech college students from a Kodachrome transparency (enlarged from 35mm?).

Since Kodachrome was not released until approximately 1936, I am curious as to what was the date range of glass plate use in the graphics world. I am assuming that flexible film sheets for graphic arts were also available?

Factory code (?) on back of box - VCP5H65151B. The B is reversed. Plates are approximately 8"x9.5".

I have included images.

Thanks for any information that form members can provide.

Kodak.jpg

plate.jpg

enlarge.jpg

Worthless in the digital age? That is as dumb, stupid, close minded and idiotic as anything I’ve heard this week and remember, this is coming up on election season so….just turn it over to someone with a sense of history and let them inflict themselves on someone with an early Windows operating system. Excuse me now, my F2 is ready to go.

Rick H.

• 4 weeks later...

The first Kodak product to bears the name Kodachrome was marketed in 1913, an invention by John Capstaff. Two separations black & white negatives made on g;ass glass plates. One exposed via a cyan filter, the other exposed. filtered red-orange. One glass plate was a panchromatic emulsion, the other insensitive to red light. They were both exposed in the camera as a sandwich, emulsion to emulsion with a red filter between them. This two-color process was marketed in 1915 as Kodachrome. It was later adopted as a method to make color motion pictures on 35mm film, mainly used in the making of cartoons. Originals at Library of Congress "Two-Color Kodachrome Method" 

• Like 1