Thirst.

pavel_l.

I wish that I could see a relationship between the equipment and the rest of the composition that might tell me of its utility. The top of the object merges with the trees in the background, as they are similar in tone. This troubles me. If there is a way to separate the equipment from the trees, thereby better revealing the form of the equipment, perhaps it would improve the image.

• Like 1

I'm with the previous critiques. In addition, there's too much that irrelevant on the right that could be cropped.

Here's a case where a color version might work better to highlight this strange object, provided its color is different from what I assume is the brown and green of the trees. Or, maybe some heavy Photoshopping to isolate the object.

I’m with everyone else in that the title, “Thirst” seems to have zero connection to the image.

This object, btw, for those who don’t know, is an industrial hydraulic jackhammer that would be mounted- or actually is mounted, it seems?-  on the arm of a track hoe which is  a large piece of mobile equipment with interchangeable tool capabilities. This particular tool would be used for breaking up concrete or structures.

Having viewed the title, at first glance I thought maybe there a connection to well digging or something. But no. I’ve said before that sometimes a title can lead a viewer towards or away from a connection to the image or its meaning… this seems too oblique for even the vaguest connection between title and image. 

Everybody, thank you for feedback. I try to implement you advises in the new compilation. 

I agree that a color version will  create better separation the main object from background.

Yes Richochetrider, you describe this piece of equipment correctly.

Perhaps, connection between title and image become mo clear if to imagine this tool as an organ of the some blood sucking  insect.

Cheers.

cwmm.jpg.055f7ac58d8d982ec1c8d85a3c0d836c.jpg

• Like 2

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Better! Now the tree leaves at the top aren't as bad, but still you might select them and lighten them. I think the main problem now is the large tree trunk. That should be easy to select and maybe darken. Another thing to try is to select the object, take the inverse selection, and blur it a bit.

Definitely an improvement by making the piece of equipment larger, with better separation from the trees in the background. That being said, if there was some relationship between the subject and other elements in the scene, it would be stronger. Lacking that relationship, the image just doesn't go anywhere for me.

On 8/14/2023 at 11:02 AM, marc_rochkind said:

Better! Now the tree leaves at the top aren't as bad, but still you might select them and lighten them. I think the main problem now is the large tree trunk. That should be easy to select and maybe darken. Another thing to try is to select the object, take the inverse selection, and blur it a bit.

I'm not sure that my old version of PS allowed this type of processing.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:51 PM, michael_kucinich said:

Definitely an improvement by making the piece of equipment larger, with better separation from the trees in the background. That being said, if there was some relationship between the subject and other elements in the scene, it would be stronger. Lacking that relationship, the image just doesn't go anywhere for me.

Unfortunately, not the all genre of photography let us control the every aspect of composition.

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.