Kodak produces B&W film stock for Oppenheimer

From my reading and what Christopher Nolan has said, the best theaters in which to see the film are IMAX 70mm theaters. There are only about 30 of them in the U.S. there are many screens showing it in IMAX and many other screens showing 70mm. But few that accommodate both. Thankfully, there’s one in downtown San Francisco and one about 90 minutes away … and 40 degrees warmer … in Sacramento. The theaters are pretty sold out, so I may have to wait three or four weeks to get a decent seat, if I’m going to see it the way Nolan wants me to. 

https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

17 hours ago, samstevens said:

From my reading and what Christopher Nolan has said, the best theaters in which to see the film are IMAX 70mm theaters. There are only about 30 of them in the U.S. there are many screens showing it in IMAX and many other screens showing 70mm. But few that accommodate both. Thankfully, there’s one in downtown San Francisco and one about 90 minutes away … and 40 degrees warmer … in Sacramento. The theaters are pretty sold out, so I may have to wait three or four weeks to get a decent seat, if I’m going to see it the way Nolan wants me to. 

https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm

AHA. Dang, there goes that. To see it in digital format, for me & my money, I'd just as soon see it on a regular big screen than in digital Imax. Ah well, I'm sure it's an intersting movie just the same. 

Meanwhile some IMDB trivia: During an interview with reporter David Martin on CBS Sunday Morning (16 July 2023), director Christopher Nolan pointed out that, the entire reel of IMAX film stock used for the production, is 11 miles long and weighs 600 lbs.

8 minutes ago, Ricochetrider said:

To see it in digital format, for me & my money, I'd just as soon see it on a regular big screen than in digital Imax.

If you’re near a decent multi-plex, you should be able to find a regular theater showing the 70mm non-IMAX version, which I imagine would be worth checking out. In the SF Bay Area, many theaters are showing it in 70mm for only a dollar or two more than the digital screenings. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Good description of viewing options:

https://www.indiewire.com/features/craft/oppenheimer-70mm-imax-where-to-watch-1234885161/

Best I can tell, my options for IMAX 70mm or plain old 70mm (5 perf) are both at Broadway and West 69th (1+ hour car ride, plus parking$$$ or 1+ hour Metro North + cab ride).  No IMAX seating available through at least next week.  35mm is available locally, but for my money, a 22 x 16mm piece of film stretched onto the screen though an anamorphic lens may be interesting, but not likely the most immersive experience.  Note that both the 70mm and 35mm films are presented in a wide screen format, which crops the original 1.43 aspect ratio IMAX images.

The IMAX digital was scanned in 8K and is presented using two 4K projectors.   Probably will see Barbie in a Dolby Cinema, which also uses two 4K projectors, has great sound, and super comfy adjustable seating.

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts about Gerwig and shooting Barbie digitally, wanting digital’s unique characteristics as an artistic choice:

Gerwig shot Little Women on 35mm film which is standard for a movie shot on film. It gives a grittier, old-school quality to a movie, and as Gerwig explained, it made a lot of sense within the context of the project. 70mm film, on the other hand, is a higher format film, which is the highest quality film you can get for a movie. This gives a similar effect as a digital camera, but has a more authentic, real-life quality. Using 70mm for Barbie may have had a similar look, but without the glossiness of digital. Film is the preference of many filmmakers, like Christopher Nolan, however, for Barbie Gerwig desired glossiness, as it gave Barbie Land that plastic fantasy quality she was trying to achieve. 

"You talkin' to me?"