Leica TL2

mjferron

Today I almost pulled the trigger on a Leica TL2 and Sigma 24 3.5. Almost. The reviews are all over the place from smart phone update to amazing color and overall image quality. I am in the market for a smallish high quality camera and one lens combo.  Any users or thoughts?

I have not used this camera. IMHO, it would not be ideal with long lenses compared with a high end Micro 4/3 camera. However, it is the most future oriented camera than anyone has made. Leica is very much a future oriented company, and much more so than your typical manufacturer of soccer-mom cameras.

It's the only truly modern camera, but that comes at a cost: no EVF, no top LCD, and few hard controls for people who prefer them.

The lenses are supposedly excellent, with corner-to-corner consistency. But there aren't very many of them. But, there's a camera for every taste and for every need. The TL2 is great, and I'd love to own one. But I don't know how it would fit my needs. It's kind of like an M-A: I want one, but I wouldn't have much use for it.

20 hours ago, Karim Ghantous said:

I have not used this camera. IMHO, it would not be ideal with long lenses compared with a high end Micro 4/3 camera. However, it is the most future oriented camera than anyone has made. Leica is very much a future oriented company, and much more so than your typical manufacturer of soccer-mom cameras.

It's the only truly modern camera, but that comes at a cost: no EVF, no top LCD, and few hard controls for people who prefer them.

The lenses are supposedly excellent, with corner-to-corner consistency. But there aren't very many of them. But, there's a camera for every taste and for every need. The TL2 is great, and I'd love to own one. But I don't know how it would fit my needs. It's kind of like an M-A: I want one, but I wouldn't have much use for it.

Thank you for the reply Karim.

• Like 1

It does not help either that Leica has discontinued the entire aps-c system, from the TL2 to the CL.

I’ve owned a CL now for a couple of years and own most of the native lenses. It’s pretty much in line with the original M10 in terms of technology and as long as it continues to function and batteries remain available it’ll be a great camera to use but I’m more than a little disappointed in myself for investing in the system In hind-site. For what I laid out I could have picked up two really nice second-hand M10’s or M10R’s.

8 hours ago, Greg M said:

It does not help either that Leica has discontinued the entire aps-c system, from the TL2 to the CL.

I’ve owned a CL now for a couple of years and own most of the native lenses. It’s pretty much in line with the original M10 in terms of technology and as long as it continues to function and batteries remain available it’ll be a great camera to use but I’m more than a little disappointed in myself for investing in the system In hind-site. For what I laid out I could have picked up two really nice second-hand M10’s or M10R’s.

Most Leica cameras are out of my price range, especially the lenses and I don’t want a rebadged Panasonic. The design behind the Leica T series intrigued me from day one. I understand the desirability and charms or the M series and maybe the Q but the TL2 is a true Leica product and could be had now for just under $1000 USD. $209 could rent me the TL2 and above mentioned lens for week. Still thinking.