Life is a Joke.

pavel_l.

Full of irony! I love the message(s) and the B&W processing. I shoot lots and lots of doors and like to see the door completely and would have shot this in portrait style, cutting where you do at the bottom and including the frame at the top of the door.

So many are too casual in shooting doors. Here, you've paid great attention to getting things level, with minimal lens distortion in all of those straight lines. This requires careful initial capture, a good lens/camera combo and perfect processing. Well done.

• Like 1

The Magritte-ish content seems slightly cliched or sophomoric to me, and given that and considering it solely as an image (without the words) I don't find it very interesting. I chuckled reading David's, "...many are too casual in shooting doors." That reminds me of Monty Python.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

On 6/15/2023 at 2:16 PM, dcstep said:

Full of irony! I love the message(s) and the B&W processing. I shoot lots and lots of doors and like to see the door completely and would have shot this in portrait style, cutting where you do at the bottom and including the frame at the top of the door.

So many are too casual in shooting doors. Here, you've paid great attention to getting things level, with minimal lens distortion in all of those straight lines. This requires careful initial capture, a good lens/camera combo and perfect processing. Well done.

Thank you dcstep. I have to take a close shot to capture written messages on the door.

13 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

You've captured the subject well enough (funny, ironic, etc.), but as a photograph I don't see much here.

Irony could be the subject of a worthwhile photograph, but I think it would have to be visual, not verbal.

Thank you marc_rochkind. Another way to look on it as a photo collage.

13 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

The Magritte-ish content seems slightly cliched or sophomoric to me, and given that and considering it solely as an image (without the words) I don't find it very interesting. I chuckled reading David's, "...many are too casual in shooting doors." That reminds me of Monty Python.

Thank you Robin Smith. Totally understandable - the words are the part of the message.

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Hmmm!  Can't really speak to the critiquing points.  But!  It sort of reminds me of a couple of signs I once had on a wall of a place I once had.  It was a bunch of years ago, but I still remember the signs.  One said "don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive", and the other said "life is like a bowl of cherries, but you can't have them all".

Izzy From Brooklyn