Ansco V.P. Speedex No. 3 - The Master Camera

In the vintage camera collecting world, the Ansco brand usually evokes images of cheap, mass-produced “point-and-shoot” film cameras with fixed-focus, fixed aperture meniscus lenses and single or limited shutter speeds such as the Panda, Anscoflex, and Clipper series of cameras. With the exception of the excellent but over-ambitious Automatic Reflex TLR, any well-equipped camera from the mid-20th century with an Ansco nameplate is likely a simple re-badge of an identical camera from the German Agfa company who purchased Ansco in 1928. What is less well-known is that, prior to joining with Agfa, and particularly in the 1910s and early 1920s, Ansco was a major manufacturer of quality cameras and photographic supplies in the American market. It is from this earlier era, 1916 specifically, that the Ansco VP Speedex No. 3 was introduced. Here is my particular example that was manufactured in 1918.

20230524_121605.jpg.526e32c9ce095aeb37bab0234039909a.jpg

The Ansco Vest Pocket Speedex No. 3 is a mouthful when spoken but not a handful in use. In fact, in its initial version, it is one of the smallest 120 roll film folding 6x9 cameras I have ever held … on par with the reduced-size 620 folders introduced by Kodak. Ansco sold 4 different models of VP cameras oddly numbered 0 through 3. Unlike Kodak, whose VP cameras only used size 127 film, only the No. 0 (original) Ansco VP camera used the smaller film format. The Ansco VPs No. 1 through 3 all used size 120 film while still retaining the “vest pocket” nomenclature. To Ansco’s credit, all versions except the No. 1 included the option of being equipped with a focusing anastigmat lens which was state-of-the-art at the time. The No. 3 model was the top-tier offering, was the only model that could be equipped with a lens faster than f6.3, and was the only model with the “Speedex” moniker. It was also the only “folding bed” model; the other models being of the extended strut design. Here is a September 1916 advertisement showing all the Ansco VP models.

SEP1916.jpg.fbc6af666deadedec5c74258a212aec7.jpg

As alluded to earlier, the VP Speedex No. 3 was produced in two successive versions. The first version (1916 – 1918) was the smaller and simpler of the two versions consisting of a fold-down bed, slide-out lens panel, Ilex Acme No. 0 shutter with seven speeds from 1 to 1/300 sec plus T & B, and a choice of five unit-focusing anastigmat lenses: Modico f7.5, Ansco f6.3, Ansco f5, Goerz Celor f4.8, or Bausch & Lomb (Zeiss) Tessar f4.5.

1st Version Advertisement1916AnnualPhotog.thumb.jpg.b8913482531665829abcf601a4796289.jpg

The second version of the VP Speedex No. 3 (1918 – 1922) was released with several enhancements: 

• Swing-out film spool holders
  • Film transport rollers
  • Rising front standard adjustment
  • Focusing scale in feet and meters
  • DOF scale
  • Carrying strap
  • Ansco f4.5 anastigmat lens option (replacing Ansco f5) 

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the film chambers of the 1st and 2nd versions of the VP No. 3.

1st version left, 2nd version rightBack_Open.jpg.f398f7cbb2edf96511a56bc8e6a772b6.jpg

The addition of the spool holders, film rollers, and carrying strap increased the size of the camera but not appreciably. The spool holders and film rollers also appear to have increased the rigidity of the body which likely helps with maintaining film flatness and keeping the film plane parallel to the lens.

2nd Version Advertisement1918Advert.thumb.jpg.e9d507485fa4e5196b2292b95f1df933.jpg

The list of lens offerings seemed to change dynamically based on market supply/demand conditions. Also, this post-WW1 Goerz advertisement seemed to indicate that owners/buyers could have a Goerz Dagor lens retrofitted to the VP Speedex. I’m not sure if Goerz partnered with Ansco or if this was strictly a third-party modification. I suspect the latter because I have not seen any Ansco advertisements listing the Dagor lens option.

Goerz1919.jpg.635a385f2429ccb881131f80cc0b8ebb.jpg

I found my particular first-version example on the Goodwill auction website. When I noticed the Ansco name on the shutter with a f4.5 Tessar lens, I knew this was a camera I had not seen before, and I snatched it up. In the auction listing, the only issues I could see were a worn-out and loose body covering and a cloudy lens. Upon arrival, I was pleased to see that the bellows were largely intact, with a few pinholes in the top corners, and that the shutter fired, albeit slowly, at all speeds.

I began my overhaul of the shutter in the usual way. I removed the front and rear lens groups and cleaned the external surfaces. The air-spaced front group had a strong haze on the internal surfaces, but I was able to unscrew the front element and it cleaned up nicely. After cleaning the lenses, I then flushed the shutter with Ronsonol (naptha) while exercising the shutter speeds and aperture. To my horror, when I adjusted the aperture, I saw the blades crumble into tiny pieces. This was my first experience cleaning an Ilex shutter and I was not aware that the aperture blades were made of some kind of paper/plastic/synthetic material that seemed to swell slightly when the naptha was applied and then disintegrated when I moved the aperture lever. I had never seen this type of aperture blade material before. Needless to say, I was bummed-out but I decided my best solution was to look for a compatible replacement shutter. I eventually found a beat up, “for parts” second version VP Speedex No. 3 for sale on eBay with what appeared to be the identical shutter but with the f7.5 Modico anastigmat lens. The seller indicated the shutter and aperture were working so I decided to purchase it with the intent of carefully cleaning the shutter (i.e., no flooding with naptha) and swapping the lens groups. When the parts camera arrived, I removed the Modico lens and noticed immediately that the aperture blades on this otherwise identical Ilex shutter were made of metal! Evidently, this was another improvement to the second version camera. I was able to clean and lube the new shutter in my usual way and successfully swapped in the freshly cleaned f4.5 Tessar.

After the initial CLA, I loaded up some Arista 100 film and tossed the camera in my bag as an extra to take on a trip to a friend’s cabin in Canada. In use, the camera was quick to open, set exposure, and adjust focus. The focusing lever is convenient with click stops at 4, 6, 10, 25, and 100 feet. Setting the focus in between any of these stops is tricky however due to the limited swing arc of the lever. The 90mm Tessar lens is a little wider than usual for a 6x9 camera and the viewfinder exhibits some barrel distortion when attempting to frame subjects, but really no worse than competitor’s offerings. The Ilex shutter has an excellent range of speeds and worked flawlessly. Also, the shutter release is smooth and easy to trip without shaking the camera. I expected good results from the Tessar lens and I wasn’t disappointed. I’ve included some sample images below. All was not smooth sailing; it took a couple of test rolls for me to get all the pinhole leaks patched and the focus adjusted to meet my satisfaction. I am pleased with the final results, however.

Safe Harborimg138_small.jpg.5282c0a82abd3b40d3564a2bbfd7537e.jpg

Upstairs Apartmentimg142_small.jpg.6845d0f4248eb30af97c80082e834387.jpg

Hosedimg140_small.jpg.581bca09c98b0be23f379d51a87b226c.jpg

Not Quite Off-The-Gridimg144_small.jpg.a547afed4aacb45d383a6b6380906e80.jpg

Abandoned Dockimg154_small.jpg.a09173b89ce70cfe1e1e7132a4036fbd.jpg

Until Summer Arrivesimg157_small.jpg.16ffa49af7d44e32255ccf907fd28ee0.jpg

Ansco called the VP Speedex No. 3 model “The Master Camera”. That’s a bit of hyperbole but I do agree it is a very convenient pocketable folder with an excellent, fast lens and a respectable range of shutter speeds and features for its time. I believe it holds up well against the similar No. 1 “Special” Kodaks of the same time period. All things considered, I think the second version of this camera would be slightly more desirable from a user standpoint so it’s on my watch list now along with working examples of VP models No. 0 through 2 to complete the series.

As always, I hope you’ve enjoyed this short review and found some of the information useful and/or interesting. Happy collecting!

Gary

• Like 6

Fantastic write up and great photos Gary, thanks for sharing.

Bausch did a great job of making those Tessars, licensed from Zeiss I believe, and they never seem to be afflicted with permanent haze from aging glue, characteristic with other Tessars. Perhaps Bausch's Tessars were designed such as to not require glue. The one I have, on a 3A Kodak, is crystal clear, not bad for a 4 element lens of that age. Now that you've cleaned the pollution from yours, I'm certain it will stay crystal clear as well.

The variably focusing on the Ansco 3 is the same as the Kodak No3 series 3, in principle, but the rails can seize on those Kodaks. I spent hours applying lapping paste trying to free the rails on one. Finally did, but your Ansco only has one rail whereas the Kodak has two, one on top of the other. Any rails on folding cameras need greasing periodically.

Edited by kmac
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gary green said:

I hope you’ve enjoyed this short review

Short review? I'd like to see a "long" one😉! Most interesting thanks.

It occurred to me to wonder where the name ANSO came from, and found this explanation in Wikipedia:

"In the late 1880s, ANSCO's predecessor, Anthony and Scovill, bought the Goodwin Camera & Film Company. Hannibal Goodwin invented flexible photographic film, which should have made Anthony and Scovill the leader in the amateur photography business. However, George Eastman copied the patented process and immediately set out to compete against Anthony and Scovill. The ruthless behavior of Eastman nearly drove the now-named ANSCO out of business, but a settlement in 1905 saved the company from bankruptcy. Eastman Kodak got away cheaply on this legal proceeding."

• Like 3

Hi Gary, thanks for the really informative and well researched writeup, as well as the excellent photos. It is always fun to work on less appreciated old classics, and bring the best to life with a bit of TLC, and a bit of modern film and technology. Please keep them coming!

• Like 1

Great Job Gary.. loved the well researched and practice to get a top class, and working example.  I recognized the 3 1/2 Bausch and Lomb lens immediately.  I have this on my  Grfalex Jr which only ever got a 2 roll trial (leaking corner bellows were invoved too) .  Your results are stunning. Was this H110 or the caffenol? 
Oh it seems Kodak got their comeuppance . What goes around comes around!!

Edited by chuck_foreman1

@chuck_foreman1 Thanks Chuck!  These shots were developed in HC-110.  I've taken a break from caffenol for awhile but plan to resume soon.

HC-110 is just so easy to use it spoils me.  But my stock is running extremely low now and I'm contemplating trying something new.  I really like the results Rick @rick_drawbridge gets from PMK Pyro so I might give that a try.

During the pandemic, I stocked up on instant coffee and vitamin C before inflation took off so I'll have caffenol as a fallback for quite some time.  I'm not totally satisfied with my results so I plan to play with the recipe to see if I can tweak it more to my liking.

Same $50 to $55 price bracket as the No. 1 Autographic Kodak Special Model B and its follow-on No. 1 Pocket Kodak Special. They are quite compact, especially compared to the earlier Model A with it's Bakelite side panels. Among the available lenses were the f/6.3 and f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat, which were Tessar formula in these cameras. 

The Kodak bellows are fragile, and very thin. I had to make a new bellows for one with fabric from a cheap changing bag. My favorite 120 Kodak folders. The Kodamatic shutters are reliable tanks!

Not long after this 620 happened.

Edited by john_shriver
  • Like 1

@john_shriver I have the No. 1 Autographic Kodak Special Model A with the Bakelite panels.  The leather bellows are intact and still light-tight.  It has the f6.3 Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat lens.  It is fully functional but the slow speeds are inconsistent on the Optimo shutter.

I understand your fondness for the Special Kodaks.  I don't use mine very much, but only because it's an early model (1915) and I want to preserve its condition.

20220217_120414.thumb.jpg.7d28dd82a3bda8aca4ac6b70a188955f.jpg

• Like 1