Nikon FE2 odd mirror lock up / leather

jimnorwood

Hi 

I own a lovely black FE2 that has an odd problem. When not used for a while often the first shot will result in mirror lock up. Then all following shots work fine. Does anyone know what might cause this ? 

I also wanted to ask about the camera leather. Mine is very slightly loose on the front below the FE2 id. Is there a way to stick it back down or is it best just left alone ? 

Thanks 

14 hours ago, jimnorwood said:

I also wanted to ask about the camera leather. Mine is very slightly loose on the front below the FE2 id. Is there a way to stick it back down or is it best just left alone ? 

Pliobond works quite well for reattaching the camera coverings. It's what I use and so do many of the repair shops.

Try using a Lithium CR1/N 3V battery. They have a long shelf life, favorable discharge profile and rarely leak.

Many (probably most?) FE2's develop a slight bulge next to the self timer - as seen here:

https://kamerastore.com/products/nikon-fe2-nikon-f-10

The bulge follows a brass cover in that shape below the covering.

If yours just looks like the linked picture, I am sure you will only make it look worse if you lift the covering to re-glue it. Think of it as a FE2 signature look 😉

Niels