Nikon Next Announcement Teaser towards May 10 Announcement

ShunCheung

This teaser is similar to the one prior to the Z9 announcement on 28 October 2021. Therefore, I assume Nikon will have something big to announce, in two weeks. The countdown is towards 8am US Eastern Daylight Time on 10th May, 2023, i.e. noon UTC, 1pm in London (British Summer Time), 2pm in Western Europe, 5am US Pacific Daylight.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/are-you-ready.page

• ShunCheung changed the title to Nikon Next Announcement Teaser towards May 10 Announcement
  • ShunCheung pinned this topic

Ricci already has a very short YouTube video commenting on the teaser. Please keep in mind that Ricci has very close ties with Nikon and I have little doubt that he already knows the details about the announcement. Most likely, he has already been using a pre-production unit of the new camera for a while, and he will release new videos on May 10 in conjunction with the new product announcement.

Link to Ricci's video: https://youtu.be/a2swjWyU4zA

Ricci's video is very short, 2:40 and please don't expect a lot of information. However, he points out two things, both related to Nikon's "ARE YOU READY?" message:

1. Inside the O in YOU, there is a video play button.
  2. In the sequence of "ARE YOU READY?", in the very last one, the ? is replaced by an 8. See my highlight with the green box.

I assume the announcement will probably be a Z8 with important video features. We'll see whether there will be more teasers to follow before May 10.

NikonZ8_teaser.jpg.49b16789f67e865314b252d1194d7e89.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CvhKaar said:

Mmmm Z8 pictures have already been leaked ....

A lot of different pictures of the camera body looking different from each other, quite possibly many of them fake (many may be fan creations using design software). Photos made with the new camera can also be faked or may be from a prototype that is never released. For example there is supposedly a 67 MP file floating around, and yet most of the rumored specs indicate Z9 sensor is used ... which is 45 MP.

No one knows who is allowed to say anything.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

I think the > 'play' button in the title, implying a videocentric camera, means it isn't just a gripless Z9.... and how could that take 2 years to develop?

The assumed 1 SD and 1 CFx slot is interesting for me.

A couple of the cross-country horse event companies I work for, collect and return SD cards from/to me throughout the shoot, so maybe every 30 mins. I have about 20 fast 16GB UHS I Sandisks at the start of the day to be fed into my D500.

Currently I can't use my Z9 as who has 20 CFx cards to hand out?

and no-one seems to make an SD to CFx adapter??

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

I think the > 'play' button in the title, implying a videocentric camera, means it isn't just a gripless Z9.... and how could that take 2 years to develop?

The assumed 1 SD and 1 CFx slot is interesting for me.

A couple of the cross-country horse event companies I work for, collect and return SD cards from/to me throughout the shoot, so maybe every 30 mins. I have about 20 fast 16GB UHS I Sandisks at the start of the day to be fed into my D500.

and no-one seems to make an SD to CFx adapter??

Personally, I'd rather not have to purchase another type of battery or memory card.

In all likelihood I will get another Z9 or it's next iteration should I need another body. My current Z6 is an excellent backup option for my needs.

I don't know which specs are likely for the Z8 - there have been several presented on rumor sites, but it seems likely that it'll use the EN-EL15 series batteries (and maybe support EN-EL18 series in the vertical grip). While I think the EN-EL15c on the Z6 II works well and gives reasonable battery capacity and usage on that camera, I have heard that some Z9 users feel the need to carry two EN-EL18 series batteries (which one was it, 18d?) to get through a day of shooting, and so if a Z8 has Z9-like capabilities but the much smaller battery, how will that combination work out for the user? Canon has the R5c video-focused variant of the R5 which is reported to offer quite modest battery life at least for video work with the small battery and need external power and/or more batteries to work through a day. With the D6, one EN-EL18(c?) covers several days of intensive shooting. Of course the D6 isn't what one would use for video recording as a primary option, but for e.g. still action photography it holds up well and the battery running out is a very remote possibility.

However, I can see that the EN-EL15 sized-battery allows a much more compact camera body which most people will prefer, and the high-end capabilities such as high resolution video at high frame rates may be considered niche features that only some users will take advantage of, so perhaps there is no issue.

19 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

IThe assumed 1 SD and 1 CFx slot is interesting for me.

Nikon Z5 ?

2 SD slots , full frame, or is 24.5 Mp not enough?

Only 5 CFx cards pays for this camera...;-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CvhKaar said:

Nikon Z5 ?

2 SD slots , full frame, or is 24.5 Mp not enough?

Only 5 CFx cards pays for this camera...;-)

I would guess that the Z5 would not be able to produce shots as consistently in focus as the Z9 or even D500 can, of moving subjects such as in a horse race.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

21 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I would guess that the Z5 would not be able to produce....

That's no guess... it's the truth!

I have a Z6ii and it's no-where near as good as the Z9 for speeding/jumping horses, especially in gloomy England.

20fps is a good 'slow' frame rate for getting the preferred horse position over a jump. It gives the client more choice and doesn't kill me with editing time.

Horses are unpredictable beasts and can change speed and/or direction very quickly. The act of jumping is also very non-linear regarding panning and tracking etc.  The horse's body might be going 20 mph, but it's feet are doing double that... back and forth! 1/2000 freezes it well enough.

14 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

That's no guess... it's the truth!

I have a Z6ii and it's no-where near as good as the Z9 for speeding/jumping horses, especially in gloomy England.

20fps is a good 'slow' frame rate for getting the preferred horse position over a jump. It gives the client more choice and doesn't kill me with editing time.

Horses are unpredictable beasts and can change speed and/or direction very quickly. The act of jumping is also very non-linear regarding panning and tracking etc.  The horse's body might be going 20 mph, but it's feet are doing double that... back and forth! 1/2000 freezes it well enough.

Can you use a laptop with card readers to transfer the images from XQD/CFe to SD cards for delivery?

• Like 1

You don't even need a laptop. As long as you have one among the D850, D500, Z6ii or Z7ii, you can copy from XQD/CFx to SD inside the camera. The image files can come from the Z9. The main limitation is the speed for the SD cards.

But I wonder whether you really need as many as 20 small cards. Just get e.g. 5 CFx cards to cycle through.

1 hour ago, ShunCheung said:

But I wonder whether you really need as many as 20 small cards.

🙂

It's one of those numbers. If the bikes collecting the cards are delayed AND the chap down/uploading them in the trailer has a problem, the cards can go out but not return. The golden rule is never give away your last card....😱

I'd never thought of card to card in my D500 or D850......Nice   👍

6 minutes ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

9 days later and the teaser is still the same - how exciting 😜

I assume the announcement will be a Z8, a “pro-sumer,” second-tier body around US$4000. Since it is not a flagship body, it doesn’t get as much marketing budget/effort. I think the main exception was the Df, which got a lot of hype for a retro, still-only body that was a niche product.

Apparently a bunch of pro/YouTubers already have the new camera. Expect a bunch of new YT videos on May 5.

After the announcement on Wednesday, May 10, Thom Hogan will have another Zoom session with Mark Comon from Paul's Camera in California (Torrance, in the Los Angeles area) on Friday evening, May 12, 8pm EDT/5pm PDT; sorry, that would be 1am on Saturday in London. They had a similar session a few days after the Z9 announcement in October 2021 and then another one after Thom Hogan went to Africa that December with a pre-production Z9: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/532866-thom-hogan-took-a-nikon-z9-to-africa-and-on-line-presentation/

It is a free event but one needs to register on line: https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/whats-thom-about-to-say.html

If you cannot make it to the live session, I am sure it'll be on YouTube later on. There is no need to get up at midnight in Europe. This is the YouTube video from their session in early November, 2021, a few days after the Z9 announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CO7S2XiTU