Please critique

kevinhoogers

I concur with the suggested rotation.

So, I looked at the image and thought, "That screams Nashville" then I read that it is Nashville. You the got signs just right so that we get an idea of the vibe. Just the right amount of people and natural vignetting

Other than the rotation, I'd not change a thing.

I like the original, without the rotation. The original skew gives it a spontaneous street feel and a bit of off kilter energy, which seems appropriate. I love the couple blocked by the pole in the foreground that kind of foreshadows (in the shadows) the main couple. So glad you included the American flag in the window, which adds to the feel and narrative. The woman walking toward us is also a nice touch. The details here add up to a nice whole.

• Like 1
  • Very Nice 1

"You talkin' to me?"

• 1 month later...

Backs of people are generally not inspiring to my view. I'd straighten and crop off the black area at the bottom to concentrate on the subject of interest (even if it is people walking away).

Edited by Robin Smith
Robin Smith

• 1 month later...

My eye goes to the signage above the street. I assume  that was probably not the main subject. It seems to me that the composition is not balanced; too bright on the left and a lot of area on the right that is dark. Perhaps it would have been a stronger image if the couple walking down the street had been illuminated well. A nice attempt at night time photography, though.

Hi @kevinhoogers, I've never been to Nashville so (as a European) I like the 'atmosphere' in this photo:  the stack of ad signs (center) and the 'Live Music' sign (right).  I also really like the reflection of the US flag in the window 'left'.

One thing puzzles me: as far as I can tell, the dimensions of this photo (or crop) don't seem to correspond to standard digital camera formats (3:2 or 4:5) or with any standard US photo print sizes that I've able to track down.

In terms of composition, there is IMHO some room for cropping top and bottom but not left and right. Whether and where you want to crop depends IMHO on your intended print formar.

To my eye, the subject of this photo is the feel of the street as a whole, not the people or the signs individually.

2 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

as far as I can tell, the dimensions of this photo (or crop) don't seem to correspond to standard digital camera formats (3:2 or 4:5) or with any standard US photo print sizes that I've able to track down.

Many photographers crop at will. The proportions, in these cases, become important not as they fit into an industry standard but as they best present the image we're constructing. It's a consideration, however, when matting and framing. Certainly, there is custom framing widely available for those whose crops deviate. There are also good, often less expensive pre-made mat and frame options that are available when a photo is of more standard dimensions. 

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

• 4 weeks later...