Nikon D 700 giving me only time exposures

MikeT-NYC

Yesterday my Nikon D 700 started doing something it never did before. Clicking the release raises the mirror and opens the shutter's opening curtain. Clicking it again closes the shutter. I tooka picture while doing this and it worked -- the sensor recorded the image, just as if this were a proper time exposure.

Anyone know what's going on here? I did not fool around with the settings to cause this, and the battery is fully charged.

Mike Taglieri 

It sounds like your D700 is acting as if it were in a T shutter-speed mode, press to open and then press again to close. That used to be available on old film SLRs. I haven't used my D700 in years. I am not aware that the D700 has this mode normally.

Have you switched off the D700 and remove the battery. I wonder whether that can reset the camera.

In exposure = M ( manual) or "P"mode (Program Mode) you can choose "B U L B) , this will give yo long shutter time exposure , if you have set this, the top display will mention "B U L B" .

So if you use manual times("Mör "P"mode ) , then check the top display , and adjust accordingly by either switching to "A" mode or choosing a shorter exposure time.

ANother possibility is that at some point in time you have choosen the "Mirror Up or Mup mode by deprsisng the Fn or choosing the exposure Mup mode by depressing the exposure mode knob and turning the wheel to "Mup" . if that is the case return this mode to "Normal"( check you manual if yo cannot find this), this mode is to reduce vibrations by mirror movement for Macro exposures..

Edited by CvhKaar

Mup being accidentally selected was my thought when I read this.

The shutter isn't actually open the whole time. The mirror is raised with the first press of the shutter button, and then the shutter fires with the second press. This would explain otherwise normal behavior, as exposure should still(more or less) be correct although IIRC in auto exposure modes the exposure is locked to the reading taken just before raising the mirror.