Nikon Announce NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR Lens

ShunCheung

The new lens is a Z-mount, DX-format power zoom (PZ) designed for video capture. The suggested price in the US is $359.95.

NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR – Key Details: 

• Ideal for vlogging and wide establishing shots, landscapes, interior photography and city streets 
  • Easy to carry and pack thanks to its compact, lightweight build of approximately 7.3 oz  
  • Delivers drip and dust-resistant performance due to its carefully designed build 
  • Offers a close minimum focusing distance of 0.62 ft and maximum reproduction ratio of 0.21x to allow for sharp images of fine details 
  • Includes VR Image Stabilization to reduce camera shake with up to 4.5 stops of compensation for stable video and sharp images 
  • Features a fully customizable power zoom with linear drive function that allows for smooth and effortless optical zoom  
  • Available in mid-May 2023 for a suggested retail price (SRP) $359.95 

The new 12-28 DX power zoom on the Z30 body. Image copyright Nikon Inc.

Z30_Z12-28DX_3.5-6.jpg.c2d30cca71073021f962190ba2fd860d.jpg

R20530_Construction.jpg.01dfbc8b7cd0dd35de760b1511fdf877.jpg

• Like 1

Excuse me for being illiterate when it comes to Video, but assuming that "power zoom" means that you zoom electronically for a more stable effect during filming, then how is that controlled from the Nikon Z body?

Does the DX/PZ models have designated power zoom buttons?

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

1 hour ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Excuse me for being illiterate when it comes to Video, but assuming that "power zoom" means that you zoom electronically for a more stable effect during filming, then how is that controlled from the Nikon Z body?

Does the DX/PZ models have designated power zoom buttons?

You can control the zooming from the lens zoom ring, from the body or via a remote control or SnapBridge. If you have two minutes, check out Grays of Westminster's video on this new lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CBoTrM970

B&H has a video also, about twice as long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0qKo7LB93o

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

I'm guessing it could remove focus breathing by very carful focal length correction...?

Typically lenses are corrected for focus breathing (if they are corrected) with optical and mechanical design. In some cases cameras have a software feature where breathing is reduced by cropping. I guess for a power zoom what you are suggesting is another option, but it would need to be designed very precisely so that there is no jitter in the angle of view while focusing.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1