Passing on the joy of film photography?

Every time I see an Olympus Trip 35 for less than €30, I buy it with the intension of passing it along to some young person who express an interest in film photography.

It is a relatively easy camera to open and clean, both the often dusty viewfinder under the top plate as well as the occasional fungus/dust below the front group.

The camera is as easy to use as a disposable camera, but vastly better in terms of optical quality and exposure accuracy.

What do you suggest to those asking for advice re. film photography?

Fixing Olympus Trip 35Olympus Trip 35 x2

• Like 5
Niels

Well I generally push them towards a mid 70s rangefinder with exposure meter but not auto.. like the ones I just posted Nikkormat, or Yashica FX2. I've noted that many aspiring "hipsters" (old word new meaning) want to shoot film, but the more " auto" and compact the better. Hence the prices you see on the P&S cameras of the late 70s early 80s 

• Like 1

Having grown up with film, I never thought of how steep the learning curve really was.

Many newly curious about film are primarily interested in the results and the tangible qualities of the process- but not so much the many technical aspects.

For those inquiring, I have tried pushing cheap Nikkormats but often see blank eyes when trying to explain how to adjust exposure and the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

With the Trip 35 they only have to deal with distance- and loading/unloading the film (the latter is already traumatic to many but can mostly be easily assisted if they have access to a brick & mortar lab where they buy and process film).

Niels