Canon Speedlite 430EX / Rebel T7 questions

zakslm

I just pulled the tigger on buying a used Canon 430EX Speedlite in what looks like pretty nice shape and I should receive it in about a week.  I intend to use it on a Rebel T7.

The flash in question is the the original 430EX, not a version II or III.

From what I gather and based on the research I have done, aside from a few esoteric features that versions II and III may have that the original does not, the main difference is that the Flash Control Menu of the camera does not or will not control the flash or is very limited in what it will control.  In other words, those functions must be set on the flash and cannot be set on the camera. 

Also, since my camera is a crop sensor camera, the 430EX's Auto Zoom feature will automatically translate lens focal lengh in use to it's non-cropped equivalent and indicate that information on flash's display.  In otther words, if I using a 50mm lens or I am zoomed to 50mm, the flash LCD will indicate I'm at 80mm and flash coverage will be set accordingly.  

I'm hoping someone can confirm the above and/or if you've used the the same or similar combination of Speedlite and camera, be please be kind enough to share your experience.

Thank you.

Edited by zakslm
minor correction

3 hours ago, zakslm said:

those functions must be set on the flash and cannot be set on the camera. 

Correct.

That's not a big deal, especially if the price was right for the Flash you've bought.

the 430EX's Auto Zoom feature will automatically translate lens focal lengh in use to it's non-cropped equivalent and indicate that information on flash's display.  In otther words, if I using a 50mm lens or I am zoomed to 50mm, the flash LCD will indicate I'm at 80mm and flash coverage will be set accordingly. 

I believe correct. The necessary criterion is that the Rebel T7 is a compatible "FOVCF Camera" - and I would expect that being such a recent release, well after the 430EX, it is.

In any case, the main reason for this function is conservation of Flash Power, which in the scheme of things is not a big issue - the important thing to remember if the 430EX doesn't 'convert the FL' , then that will only have an affect on The Shot, only if you are at the limit of the Flash Power which is required for that specific Shot.

if you've used the the same or similar combination of Speedlite and camera, be please be kind enough to share your experience.

Only for the example that my 580EX 'converts' the FL when used on APS-C Cameras.

WW

• Excellent! 1

Received the 430EX a little while ago and did some quick tests.    The functions and automation are a bit different than the 430EZ and 540EZ I used years ago with an EOS film camera, but familiar nonetheless.

My  preferred setting on the "EZ" Speedlites was to set the camera to M Mode and that works the pretty much the same way on the 430EX.  I set the camera to M and set the desired aperture and shutter speed.  The  Speedlite LCD panel displays a Maximum distance and provided the subject < maximum distance, the flash exposure is spot on. 

Although I have to say that I am really impressed with how well the flash/camera combination works in P to provide fill flash.  

Edited by zakslm

Sounds right to me.  I used a 550EX with 2 film bodies and 2 digital bodies.  When the flash was the primary source of light (indoors), I would set the camera to M and use the aperture for DOF control and the shutter speed to blend in how much ambient light I wanted in the image.  For fill flash, whereby the main source of light was ambient, I would mostly use an AE setting like P, or "S" and set the shutter speed to the maximum sync speed (or higher using FP mode).   I never used an EOS camera with auto ISO, so I don't know how that works with the flash.

4 hours ago, Ken Katz said:

Sounds right to me.  I used a 550EX with 2 film bodies and 2 digital bodies.  When the flash was the primary source of light (indoors), I would set the camera to M and use the aperture for DOF control and the shutter speed to blend in how much ambient light I wanted in the image.  For fill flash, whereby the main source of light was ambient, I would mostly use an AE setting like P, or "S" and set the shutter speed to the maximum sync speed (or higher using FP mode).   I never used an EOS camera with auto ISO, so I don't know how that works with the flash.

Interesting question. I was curious as to what ISO was being set and 800 seemed to be the default. 

12 hours ago, zakslm said:

Interesting question. I was curious as to what ISO was being set and 800 seemed to be the default. 

Should probably add or state that the default ISO setting may be dependent on the camera body or the settings transmitted between the Speedlite and the camera body.  It would make sense to me because sensor size, megapixel count and processors differ from camera to camera.  

Edited by zakslm