Critique this one please

Ricochetrider

Worked up in the north central part of the state a couple times recently, 2nd time being last night. Hauled both my digital cameras along just for fun. Among photographing other things, I kinda shot my way home, between 1 and 3 AM. The Red Rabbit Drive In is on my route and I’ve shot it numerous  times- but this is by far my favorite shot of it ever. I believe (so I’ve been told anyway) the Red Rabbit was featured in Guy Fieri’s show Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives. It’s awesome so if you’re ever in the neighborhood, do “hop” in! 

Additionally:

The Bunnyburger is the Red Rabbit’s “signature” burger. It’s pretty darn good.
No bunnies were harmed in its making. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 
Tom

9CA47E8A-E10F-40A4-8989-54A374E7815F.jpeg.c716fb6713eaaeb37e1465221d37844a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Very Nice 1
  • On Point 1

Yes, I saw this first on the No Words Thread. I pressed "Like" - because I do like it.

I like the balance of the two negatives spaces  - dark and light. I like the remnants of rain. I like the transition from shadow to light which comes from both left to right and also front to back.

I really like the quality of 3D 'Depth' which is very well displayed.

I can smell the damp and feel the mist and mood - it is a really good shot. Bravo.

WW

I really am annoyed (well my brain is really annoyed looking at it) by the four main verticals (three main posts and the fancy metal support and the building's edge at RHS) they are all slightly NOT vertical.

Slightly not vertical is usually always "not on purpose", but rather just the camera not held level, (funny, mostly always tilting camera downward on the left). So easy to fix - if you're interested it is a simple rotation 1 degree.       

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

I do sometimes wonder where the sweet spot is when things get distorted … I did rotate it a little bit but left it as presented. Others seeing this said it had a bit of a horror movie vibe, so maybe those skewed verticals play to that element and ramp up the surrealism? (roll with me) 😁

10 minutes ago, Ricochetrider said:

Others seeing this said it had a bit of a horror movie vibe, so maybe those skewed verticals play to that element and ramp up the surrealism?

Well as I wrote - it annoyed my brain to look at it: and I continued to look at it for quite a while 

Therefore, I can't mount any substantial argument for the slightly skewed verticals not being an enhancing quality of the image.

WW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricochetrider said:

Thanks guys!

I do sometimes wonder where the sweet spot is when things get distorted … I did rotate it a little bit but left it as presented. Others seeing this said it had a bit of a horror movie vibe, so maybe those skewed verticals play to that element and ramp up the surrealism? (roll with me) 😁

I agree.  A little horror.  You need a clown in there somewhere.  Maybe sitting on the bench sipping a milkshake.  😟

• Like 1

So I went back to this and rotated it 1 degree clockwise to straighten it out a bit. Thanfully there's enough general space to have done so without sqeezing any one aspect of the photo too closely. I think in this rickety old canopy structure, there are off kilter elements, which I think (hope) adds to the surreality of the scene. But I agree the tiny rotation does help so thanks very much to @williammichael for your thoughts & attention to detail.  

I guess my general rule of thumb (now that I've thouhgt about it further), is to make perfectly vertical what ever's where my eye is drawn to in a shot. Sometimes that's right at center, but not always, and sometimes it matters more than it does at other times. Maybe the lesson for me in my photography is to pay closer attention to how minute changes in the camera's position can increase and decrease distortion in a photo?  

Then again, I'm not one to try to make clinicly perfect photographs, I want my shots to feel a bit like.... something. Rather than simply looking  like something. I'm looking to imbue a bit of casual or offhand je ne sais quoi into my photos, I guess. Not that I could ever outwardly endeavor to insert such a thing into my shots but I'm gratified when it happens! 

image.jpeg.5c3e76a34fd220a213fb19958d9f0157.jpeg

Edited by William Michael
Combined the Author's two posts into one
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 8:26 AM, Ricochetrider said:

Then again, I'm not one to try to make clinicly perfect photographs, I want my shots to feel a bit like.... something. Rather than simply looking  like something. I'm looking to imbue a bit of casual or offhand je ne sais quoi into my photos, I guess. Not that I could ever outwardly endeavor to insert such a thing into my shots but I'm gratified when it happens! 

I think this shows in your recent photos. Your voice is coming through.
“Not that I could ever outwardly endeavor to insert such a thing into my shots…”  The more you practice it the more it becomes you.

I think this photo evokes a 3am road trip perfectly.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 2

n e y e

It's all been said above, but I really like this photo too! Especially the location, the light/shadow, the mist and the evocative 'mood'.  Yes, it could be a still from a horror movie 🙂. One other thing I also like is the contrast between the 'splash of primary color' (benches, kid's amusements) and the almost monochromatic surroundings.

So for many reasons, the photo is 'intriguing'. As a European, even the name 'Bunnyburger' looks weird!

Congrats!

Many thanks for sharing this bigger picture, @Ricochetrider ! It's always interesting to learn more about the location where your  'photo for critique' was taken. IHMO this 'big picture' photo also has great qualities in its own right. Including the contrasts between light/shadow (especially the dark shadow framing), the color contrasts and  bucketloads of 'atmosphere'.  This photo too could, for me, be a movie still. But it IMHO it does seem more 'cluttered' with details than the one you you posted for critique. Even though 'clutter' can often add to a photo.! This photo too is 'intriguing' and it draws me in.

Still, your more focused and 'less cluttered' version that you posted for critique has a very special photographic quality and I much prefer it! The differences between the 2 versions could IMHO be useful as an example in some kind of photography course. In terms of comparing and contrasting both perspectives, depth, 'mood', etc. I found both photos masterful but the 'for critique' one much more so. 

IMHO one of the potential 'photography course' topics that you illustrate with these 2 photos is how revisiting the same location under different conditions can expand and deepen student's 'photographic eye' for photographic opportunities. In other words: not only photographing a scene 'as is' but also planning/revisiting the same scene from a different perspectives, in different weather conditions, different times of day, etc. Probably,  photography students are already taught this. And most genres of photography (perhaps with the exception of Urban/Landscape and Street photography) make it difficult for photographers to 'revisit' photoshoots. But IMHO, they can - and should- learn from examples such as yours.

Back in the day, I did a (basic) photography course. Of course with 'practical assignments' and learning from each other. But we also learned a lot from examples by different photographers. Although we were beginners, we were inspired by much more accomplished photographers.

I'm not in any way suggesting that any 'photography course' would accept your photos as 'course material', just that IMHO your material might be useful

1 hour ago, Ricochetrider said:

Thanks guys! I appreciae all the comments and compliments.  Here's the bigger picture from  the first night's drive home

image.jpeg.57916c215de7ca1e5d5f8e38d60f8302.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike thanks for the in-depth “look” and review! The Reb Rabbit is local to me. I’ve been there a lot and photographed it several times, earlier on film and recently with my phone and digital camera. 

I love this sort of Americana stuff, and I also really like non chain, “mom n pop” places of all types- many examples of which can be found along our older, “U.S. Highway” system roads- which pre date the modern motorway (or interstate as we call them here in the US) system. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I much prefer the initial shot. It has an ethereal foreboding feel, like, what's coming from the dark behind the scene. The large photo is more a documentary or reference photo to me. It's a good example of choosing the right angle and perspective to achieve different results.

• Like 1