A vote of thanks to Mary

rodeo_joe1

I would have proposed this in the thread that started it, but I see it's now locked. 

Anyhow, as per the title, big thanks to Mary Doo for getting the annoying "assisted" epithet removed from the brand-related camera discussion fora. I don't know why nobody else had the b*lls to do it! 😉

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sanford said:

Can someone please explain what this is about?

Sanford, did you read any of the posts regarding "Assisted DSLR & Film Cameras"?  If not and if you are still curious, please follow the thread created by Mike (a question about "Assisted") that has now been changed to "Complaint about forum category labels".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Anyhow, as per the title, big thanks to Mary Doo for getting the annoying "assisted" epithet removed from the brand-related camera discussion fora. I don't know why nobody else had the b*lls to do it! 😉

Yes, "assisted" was annoying.  However, it did inspire me to look up Assisted Living in my community and to check out the benefits of my long term care insurance which I have been paying in for 20 years.  It turns out that the benefits are not bad at all, if by any chance I will need it in the future.  From time to time I find PN's benefit invaluable - and to think that many people died without claiming any benefit because they were not assisted by Photo.Net? 🤣

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mary Doo said:

Sanford, did you read any of the posts regarding "Assisted DSLR & Film Cameras"?  If not and if you are still curious, please follow the thread created by Mike (a question about "Assisted") that has now been changed to "Complaint about forum category labels".

I'm trying to avoid any effort on my part, that's why I just wanted a "simple" explanation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sanford said:

Can someone please explain what this is about?

It seems to be about the omission of the word "Electronically" ... as in Electronically Assisted Film Cameras. That's all I've been able to figure out so far. Distinguishing between ultra modern film cameras, and those that are manually operated (Classic manual cameras)

I'm sure the problem arising from the definition could have been avoided if the title had been "Electronically Assisted" in the first instance, rather than just "Assisted". At least that way we would have known the way in which the film cameras were being "assisted", without vaguish meanings.

Perhaps management could go back and re-title the heading to "Electronically Assisted Film Cameras", or even "Electronically Controlled" ... that would be my suggestion and input to the discussion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kmac said:

It seems to be about the omission of the word "Electronically" ... as in Electronically Assisted Film Cameras. That's all I've been able to figure out so far. Distinguishing between ultra modern film cameras, and those that are manually operated (Classic manual cameras)

I'm sure the problem arising from the definition could have been avoided if the title had been "Electronically Assisted" in the first instance, rather than just "Assisted". At least that way we would have known the way in which the film cameras were being "assisted", without vaguish meanings.

Perhaps management could go back and re-title the heading to "Electronically Assisted Film Cameras", or even "Electronically Controlled" ... that would be my suggestion and input to the discussion.

This is a joke right?  PN is Comedy Central now.  Good show!  😂

3 minutes ago, Mary Doo said:

This is a joke right?  PN is Comedy Central now.  Good show!

No ma'am, it's not a joke, I'm quite sincere about it ... is it off-topic ?

We need clear definitions, so thanks for raising the issue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mary Doo said:

Dunno.  Just thought we are back to square one, that's all.

Agreed. 

Any sort of prefix is going to add an exclusion to the type of Nikon gear expected to be discussed. Like Nikon speedlights, bellows, lenses, motor drives, remotes, finder-illuminators and all the other bits and pieces that Nikon have produced for their camera systems over the years. 

• Like 1

I think maybe we ought to stop poking the wasp's nest, because it's only getting worse! 

Now there are duplicated fora for medium and large format?? 

What next? A Holga pinhole gum-bichromate forum.... Oh sh*t, I shouldn't even have thought that too loud. 🤐

Edited by rodeo_joe1

8 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

I heard you think it too.....🙂

Are MF digitals mirrorless?  🤔

Well, there are manual focus and autofocus MF film cameras which can be twin-lens reflexes, rangefinders, SLRs or view cameras. Then there are a few autofocus medium format SLRs, mostly of the 6x4.5 cm format.

Finally there are the digital medium format cameras which can be digital backs attached to bodies, DSLRs where the digital sensor is a part of the camera body, and mirrorless medium format digital cameras which are probably the most common in new purchases today.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1