Canon 100mm f/2.8 Not Stopping Down

dpatt711

3 hours ago, jim_bielecki1 said:

Breechlock or FDn?  What happens when you shoot on manual?  My guess is you may have oil on the aperture blades. 

FDn. I'm not really sure what happens on manual, I have film loaded now so I'm not sure what to test for.

20 hours ago, dpatt711 said:

FDn. I'm not really sure what happens on manual, I have film loaded now so I'm not sure what to test for.

Take the lens off the "A" mark, and put on F:11 or something.  Set the shutter speed to "B", and press the shutter button while looking down into the lens.  See if the lens is stopping down (you'll have to waste a frame of film).  If not stopping down, you have a problem with the lens.

Just now, jim_bielecki1 said:

Take the lens off the "A" mark, and put on F:11 or something.  Set the shutter speed to "B", and press the shutter button while looking down into the lens.  See if the lens is stopping down (you'll have to waste a frame of film).  If not stopping down, you have a problem with the lens.

Yep aperture is definitely stuck open. Doesn't close at all.

45 minutes ago, jim_bielecki1 said:

Most likely you have oil on the aperture blades (the lens was probably exposed to high temperatures at some point and grease melted). It will have to be taken apart and cleaned.  

Whats the best way to go about cleaning it? I don't have any tools or experience working on lens

Sometimes some healthy exercise will bring it back to life.  I have a 20mm FD that had that problem.  Yes, I could see the oil on the blades.  I spent hours off and on trying to get it to stop down.  Nothing at first, but little by little it finally agreed to do as I asked.  I make it a point to exercise all of my lenses.  Beats taking it apart.

Edited by chuck909

Yes, regular exercise of all my FD lenses and FD era 35mm camera bodies. Store in a cool, well ventilated (but not cold) dry place with professional packs of silica gel (large pouches) and store the equipment in a aluminum / metal rigid box / trunk with dividers* but with air able to circulate around - no 'cut to fit' foam, which breaks down imperceptibly and emits acrid and corrosive fumes (over several years) IMHO.

I even keep a spreadsheets (10 bodies and about 25 lenses, Canon and some Nikon) which records all the information I have about the bodies / lenses and when it was last actuated.

*Unless you are transporting them, in which case you'll need padding.