Rollei 35 advice [yes I know this is Leica forum...]

Thanks everybody for such ana mazing response, I now think I understand...the T is for Tessar and is not quite as good a lense as the S for Sonnar, but both have no rangefinder and so in practice the focus error possible is more of an issue. The E models have a LED lightmeter inside the viewfinder, where the others have it on top. Users either love them or hate them and until you actually have one for a while you're not really going to know. There are plenty of other small cameras out there that many would argue are better than the Rollei, principally in the real ergonomics of use. Well I will see if I can pick one up second hand from a frustrated user on ebay and find out if the ergonomics suit my girlfriend, who is a keen photographer. If it stays in her handbag a lot then I guess that will be the answer.....Thanks again everybody, and let me know if my summary is incorrect in any way.

Consider the original Contax T. Aperture priority, 38mm f2.8, rangefinder coupled. I nice one is $400 or so, maybe less. Avoid the minox GT or GL, too many shutter problems. The newer minox's (GTS, GTE) may be a but more reliable, but I'd probably go for the Contax first, Rollei second.

I agree with Xavier. The 35S takes great shots at infinity and has the advantage of manual operation - but the meter is not that great really (I largely take slides) and the guess focus with a 40mm lens is definitely tricky. The camera is also heavy. Then there is the nonsense with the shoe on the bottom and also the locking aperture and shutter speed dials. I would much prefer a Minilux which has a superior lens and at least allows accurate focussing. The Rollei is a handsome looking thing, but ergonomically it is poor, unlike the Ricoh GR1 or Minilux or Contax T3/T2 etc. etc. The Olympus XA was a good idea but it is a pretty horrible plastic thing I think.
Robin Smith

If you would like to know more about Rollei 35 cameras, I have a web page which has links to detail information on models and includes a picture gallery including some of my photographs with these cameras:

<br><br><blockquote>

<a href="http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/R35pix/R35-pix.html"><b>The Rollei 35 Gallery</b> <i>http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/R35pix/R35-pix.html</i></a>

</blockquote>

<br><br>

Godfrey

Richard,

<p>

you are almost correct in my eyes: The one point where I have to disagree is the performance of the Tessar lenses: It all comes down to correct focusing, and for me at least zone-focusing is only possible from F8 on. And starting from F8 the Tessar lens is just as good as any other lens I know (the same holds true for the Tessar/Xenotar comparison on the Rolleiflex models). Although the Sonnar is better at f2.8 it is impractical to use at these apertures. Of course you can use a slip-on rangefinder, but then you can take a Leica also.

<p>

So if you start shooting remember to stop down to something like f8 and you will enjoy the results of the nice little package.<div>004lGQ-11943684.JPG.733cafb16efa7fe1797dab11c31d4eb8.JPG</div>

There are no batteries available...

Its hell to "guess" focus unless one stays at f16...

the "dings" on the corners are not from bumping into things but more likely signs of "impact" into sidewalks,streets and avenues due to the stupidity of fitting the carrying strap to the back and not the main body.My rollie at this time has no more meter,its a lil smaller in size then when it left the factory,due to "bumping".

Its HEAVY.It dont fit a pocket.The shutter sticks in cold weather(Toronto/Canada.Thats the bad.The good.Its fun,its really sharp either as Tessar or Sonnar.

I have a Rollei 35 with the f3.5 Schneider lens. This is a very uncommon lens in the Rollei 35, and it takes great photographs. I purchased it new in the early 70s, and had the shutter cleaned a few years ago. It is quirky, but once you get used to it, it is easy to get good results. A real plus, is the Rollei 35 will a take screw-in filters. Most small cameras will not take filters.

Someone mentioned the Olympus 35. I recently picked up an Olympus 35RC for $20.00 at the local flea market. After replacing the foam seals, it took great photos too. I loaned it to my son who is in Japan for 5 months, & suspect I will never get it back. Oh well.

Another wonderful camera is the Yashica T. This is the first in the series that have the auto focus Tessar lens. The T has manually set film speeds, and same for the flash. With that combination, you can gain a lot of exposure control. My problem is to decide which to take with me when I visit my son in Tokyo in a few weeks. Little cameras can really spoil you. I may sell any of my cameras including the Leica M4-P over the years, but the Rollei will be with me forever.

I used to have a leica (m4-2 and 35mm summilux), now I have a leitz enlarger (Valloy ll), a slide projector (a Pradix) and I am on the lookout at the garage sales for a leitz holepunch. Ok to be here? ;-)<p/>

Rollei 35s' are great cameras but the shutters are very sensitive and need a lot of regular 'working' (and servicing) to keep them accurate. I mean regular - every few months of 'working' the shutter, otherwise expect slow and sticky ones.<p/>

My camera guy says the shutters are a very simple design and some of the actual mechanisms are very close to the surface of the camera. If you have a dent in the top casing this can interfere with this mechanism (I had mine panelbeated out). The outer casing is slightly thinner in the later (Singaporean) models and these dents can actually interfere with the mechanisms inside.<p/>

But after everything is said, they are a good camera. Compared to an XA they are a different beast. Manual and mechanical(!), for a start. An 'Sp might be a good alternative? I think if you can commit to it the camera is worthy of rewarding the effort spent in keeping it in tune and will provide many happy snaps for years to come...

More and more people (including M-imitators) start to realize the interesting of Leica M is not just in its lens, but also in its range finder.

Equally interesting, I know many M power players who often use Leica M with gestimation focusing. I was told it's the licencing for street shots. At a Palo Alto camera store, a counter-man, who is also a Leica M-phile and an once-for-a-while Leica Magazine published photographer, likes to show his wonderful shots and explains how he got the pictures unnoticed with the scale focusing and quite M shutter.

You would feel no shame at all with the Rollei 35S's scale focusing. You are indeed expected to use Rollei 35s so often with its scale focusing that you should not use it otherwise at all. That's what Rollei 35 is all about.

It will definitely take quite a while to develop the habit and the skill to make the Rollei 35 so much appreciatible. It's definitely a point-n-shoot for people like my wife. Although it's every bit the perfect point-n-shoot.

Use with a small tripod and hyperfocal in landscape, preferably very low speed films like Kodachrome 64 or Velvia. For quick-draw shots, use small aperture, hight shutter, with 400+ ISO high speed films like TMY, Tri-X, Delta 400, and even push it. If you know how to stand develop a B&W film, try it. I love it.

But if you like close-up or portraits with eye-or-nose focusing accuracy, or if you are in pursuit of medim format clarity. It would not be much better than Canonet QL17 III or Olymus XA.

I've collected many old cameras, and am starting to let go most of them, but Rollei 35S is one I'd keep. It's not just its optical performance, it's its elegant, classical, craftmanship that like nothing else, not even Minox 35 ML/GT, not even close.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a sentimental soft spot for the Rollei 35. Although built by Rollei, I regard the design as the last in a line of the Zeis-Ikon folders which were popular decades early. The Rollei 35 is sort of an updated version of a circa 1950 Ikonta 35mm pocket camera.

Except for the fixed take-up spool, film loading is somewhat similar to a Zeis-Ikon Contax or as some say a Leica. It's safe to say that film loading on a Rollei is much easier than loading a reel for a film developing tank.

Here are my tongue in cheek steps anyone interested in easy to perform point and shoot operation of a Rollei 35.

* Extract lens and rotate to lock.

*(Spot Metering)- Walk up to subject to set an exposure

* If need be, don't forget to compensate for any screw-on filter

* Count the number of paces back to where you'll shoot from

* Use the hyperfocal scale to set the focus, be conservative

* Compose & Shoot

Oh I almost forgot the most important point and shoot step of all. Advance the film lever all the way BEFORE retracting the lens. That said, I doubt if I'll give up on my think-before-you-shoot 35 SE anytime soon.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX