The Grammar Police are Upon You

ray .

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to join this thread late, but this was slightly before I was a member. However, in the month I've been here I've certainly noticed the sloppiness. Little mistakes are understandable, in my opinion, but the ones listed in the initial posting along with "its" and "their" should be known by all native English speakers.<br><BR>

If your light compliments your subject, attempt to engage it in a conversation and see what it will tell you. It just might teach you how to spell.<br><BR>

Vic, I too am suspicious of a president that cannot pronounce the threat he claims we face (the nucular threat). I completely agree regarding "should have went." I too heard it extensively at an Ivy from a girlfriend from Long Island, and it drove me absolutely nuts. For that matter, the grammar of a number of my peers at a consistently number one rated school was disheartening. They made mistakes for which my teachers would have crucified me long before I could reach college.<BR><BR>

Ali, perhaps I'm not politically correct, but I still might prefer "retarded." To me, every tenth grader that needs a calculator for simple multiplication has an "intellectual disability."<BR><BR>

Ever since my tenth grade English teacher pointed out the redundancy in the hymn that begins, "We gather together to sing the Lord's blessing," it has irked me a little whenever I hear it.<BR><BR>

"Quote" is a verb. "Quotation" is a noun. Don't verb your nouns.<br>

Don't revert back, because you may end up going forward; I'm just not sure.

• 2 weeks later...