• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A DREADFUL LANGUAGE? WHY,MAN ALIVE

I'D LEARNED TO TALK IT WHEN I WAS FIVE.

AND YET TO WRITE IT, THE MORE I TRIED

I HADN'T LEARNED IT AT FIFTY-FIVE.

( DR.RICHARD N.KROGH )

I did a google search and found the author. To my delight I discovered Michael had stopped two lines short. I cut and pasted the final stanza for everyone's enjoyment.

God Bless the English (actually a Germanic Language) for giving us this language. I hereby nomimate Ray Haack unofficial grammar gendarme.

I may have to immediately withdraw my nomination. For it has occurred to me the originator of this thread may have purpetrated a great hypocrisy upon us.

Ray Haack!?

Is that Ray Hack?

Perhaps Ray Hawk??

Hayack??? Highock????

How are we to know??? The name appears to defy convention. There's either too many a's or a letter is missing somewhere. And nary an umlat or sign to help us. In matters like this, the internet is of little use.

Someone please posit an answer???

David, my name is pronounced "hawk". I'd love to keep company with Selma Hayak but I'm afraid the slight simialarity in our names is what I'll have to settle for.

Reto Fred, As to your disliked "buzz terms", "Are we on the same page?" is one that's gets more use than it deserves, at least here in America.

God, as if we didn't have enough people who call Leica owners "elitists" and "aristocrats", now we are going to start critiquing grammar and spelling!?!?!

Maybe we do have to much time on our hands, and don't spend enough time taking photos with these expensive gadgets....

Cut us some slack.... Between "fat fingering" and "fast thinking", I'm lucky I can get a coherent thought out of my head at all.

Just a thought!

I work with people who have intellectual disabilities (mental retardation for all you Americans, now not politically correct) and display challenging behaviour (for you Americans this is the proper English spelling for behaviour), I also have a gentleman on an internship at a school who comes from Tokyo who is staying at my home and who's English is improving on a daily basis. In my situation being able to get ones message across to others is the most important aspect of communication. If this is achieved then the end result has been achieved. Perfection in any area, according to ones Psyche, has its various names which I won't repeat on air. Ali

<I>Don't recede from</I>[,]<I> or concede</I>[. . .][,]<I> the s in supersede.</I><P>

Away with the <I>away</I>. Good point, though, about "<a href=http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/supercede.html>supersede</a>". Don't you find it just completely <I>nerve-racking</I> when such mistakes are made in "official" documents - especially medical and legal documents, where they should know better? I always think, with a shudder, our fate is in <I>your</I> hands?

I think your getting upset over what is mainly typing errors. People take time to post and reply on the forum and often do it quickly as possible. Often internet text is similar to mobile phone text and is simplified or abrieviated to do the job quickly. And as some have pointed out the grammer of one country is different to another. Im often perplexed how many americans have donkeys, they are always referring to asses??! You dont eat them or make glue out of them do you? And Leica uses Aluminium in some of its products not Aluminum. Leica gear is so expensive they surely can afford the extra "I"

A few more nails in the English coffin:

(1) Misusing adjectives as adverbs. A classic is "real good" instead of "really good." The word "real" is overused in the TV media, and nobody questions its improper usage. Real cool, real bad, real nice.

(2) Double negatives. As in: "I don't do this no more." "I don't want nothing from you."

(3) Aks instead of ask. (This is not a black thing, I've heard white people use it in New Jersey. I think it is a class thing. Yes, the US is a class-ridden society.)

(4) "Like." Valley girl talk. Q: What time is it? A: It's like five o'clock. Q: How was the movie? A: It's like totally cool.

(5) An New England classic: "I should have went there." I've heard it used by Ivy Leaguers, so it transcends class.

(6) Weapons of mass destruction. I think we in the US have the most, but in our case they're ???.

(7) Collateral damage, instead of dead people/non-combatants.

(8) Aliens, when referring to non-US people.

Have like a real nice day y'all! Even you aliens!

I think grammar mistakes are unavoidable in PN given so many posters do not speak English as a primary language. However, some elementary errors, such as the confusion over "it's" and "its", should not be made.

On the other hand, since this is the Leica forum, I think it is understandable that all lens flare are rendered as flair!

What I cannot understand is how some people would spell "Fuji" as "Fugi"???

The only logical answer is that, with Fuji film, one cannot capture Kodak moments so "tempus fugit"?