Urban Legends and Photography

skygzr

Henry , if you took the time to read all the threads of that post

about the photographer's bill of rights , you would have noticed

that i did explain some of the details .

Furthermore , although it was in the years when i would inhale

an occasional " sigarette" to prevent glaucoma , ,what

happened to me wasn't the product of my distorted imagination

Hey! I thought this thread was "photographic" urban legends.

Here's the one I heard long ago.

One day, towards twilight, St. Ansel was out for a drive near Hernandez, New Mexico. Upon seeing the beautiful moon light peeking in and out of the clouds over the town, St. A. A. stopped his station wagon and set up his camera. Being the absent minded professor that he was, he had forgotten to bring along his light meter. So he guessed. And guessed wrong. His negs were dramatically over exposed yielding images so thin that trucks would have no trouble driving through.

But, of course, the print was excellent.

Any of you silverbacks there with him at the time?

" Moonrise over Hernandez." <P>

The "Moonrise" negative really, really sucks . i've seen it, and it is at least two stops underexposed and everyone who ever worked for Adams says it was a bitch to print, usually taking two days to get an acceptable print. If you look at several prints side by side (I have) there are significant variations from print to print , especially if yu lookat prints made at different times fro mthe 1940s through the 1970s: the earlier prints are lighter in tone and as Adams got older the skies were printed in with a heavier and heavier hand to great a more dramatic effect. <P>And no the print is not a darkroom composite.<P>Sorry to burst your bubble.

"The "Moonrise" negative really, really sucks . i've seen it, and it is at least two stops underexposed and everyone who ever worked for Adams says it was a bitch to print, usually taking two days to get an acceptable print. If you look at several prints side by side (I have) there are significant variations from print to print"

If Ansel was around today he'd have made a digital master, then he wouldn'ty have had to worry about it...