The (Not So) Great Weltini

Here is a somewhat rare first version Welta Weltini from 1937-1938.  The Weltini was Welta's answer to the pre-war Kodak Retina II and was similarly featured except that it had two technological advantages:  a coincident-type rangefinder and a mechanism to automatically retract the lens to the infinity position when the cover was closed.

Camera_1_small.thumb.jpg.71ae3e2104e8a35f71cc06662a1d1ecb.jpg

Camera_2_small.thumb.jpg.931c80ce98d03947cd9caac4158668de.jpg

While both the Weltini and the Retina were equipped with Compur-Rapid shutters, and both offered 50mm f2 Xenon lenses, the similarities ended there.  In an obvious (and admirable) attempt to reduce production costs, the Weltini design started with the existing Welta Welti folder, flipped it upside down, and added a rangefinder housing to what had previously been the bottom plate.  As a consequence, all of the controls are opposite (left to right and top to bottom) of where you typically expect.

This reverse layout was preserved in the subsequent second version Weltini whose basic changes were a redesigned rangefinder housing and lower profile advance and rewind knobs.

I found this camera at an indoor flea market where the booth owner was obviously a camera collector.  Interestingly, the cameras were segregated such that the high-end, more expensive models were in locked glass cases and the lesser models were simply on shelves that were readily accessible for hands-on examination.  The Weltini was in the latter group.  Not having any Welta cameras in my collection, I was surprised by its considerable heft for such a small size.  The camera was in good physical condition but had the typical grunge coating on the lens and internal rangefinder elements.  The shutter was gummed up and the rangefinder was considerably out of calibration.  The asking price was $58 USD but the business was having a 15% discount special that day so I walked out the door camera in-hand for about $50 plus tax.  It seemed like a pretty good deal.

The camera cleaned up nicely but I quickly realized that the controls layout was not to my liking so this will probably not be a camera I use very often.  Also, even after cleaning, the overall view through the rangefinder was dim and the focusing patch was difficult to see.  As an eyeglass wearer, it was also impossible to see the full frame through the squinty viewfinder.  On top of that, I was not able to successfully collimate the rangefinder for all distances.  I currently have it accurate for near and medium distances (4 to 15 ft) but that's it.  I just need more time to figure it out.

I tried to force myself to run a roll of film through the camera (I have a laser rangefinder that I can use for focusing) but, after a couple of frames, I got too frustrated with the viewfinder and gave up.  I'm going to look for a junked 6x9 folder with a flip up optical finder that I can scavenge as an auxiliary finder and adhere it with double-sided tape since there is no accessory shoe.  I'll post some results after that.

Another annoyance is that, with a filter and/or lens hood attached, it is virtually impossible to adjust the aperture setting since it is buried behind the lens cover.

In the end, while I am disappointed with the ergonomics of the camera, the limited production and excellent condition makes it a nice addition to my collection.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

• Like 4

Nice looking camera Gary. I have only one Welta, a viewfinder only Rheinmetall Weltax 6x6, mint looking, but mint looking is as far as it goes. The side struts are very flimsy and if the front door is not opened slowly, the struts will miss their locking position and go beyond "straight" and then need returning back (with difficulty) into their locked state. The Tempor shutter jammed up after some periodic maintenance testing before running any films through, which means I have some work to do before any picture taking is possible. Nevertheless, it's a neat little compact camera for a 6x6, and I'm anxious to see what it's Trioplan lens can produce.

Don't despair about your rangefinder, there are ways of reconditioning them, it can be worth it for rare cameras. The first thing to check is the mirror, if it's crappy, the rangefinder patch will be crappy. The next important part is the beamsplitter, it must look like it's been untouched by human hands. Cleaning them can remove the soft coating on one side, thereby destroying the "beamsplitting" capability.

That's an interesting one, it's upside down left for right design tends to confirm my theory that the old designers didn't give a hoot about ergonomics, it was up to the user to adapt to the quirks of the camera, and not vice versa.

I'm past the time when I used to beat myself up about not taking pictures with a new acquisition.

Interesting write up Gary! Hope the Xenon lens still produce good results, despite the ergonomics?

I guess there was a time there were no product managers, just engineers and sales/marketing persons. I have a feeling Voigtlander cameras is definitely in that category as your Weltini.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

@kmac Thanks for the tips on cleaning/inspecting the rangefinder.  This one doesn't have a semi-silvered mirror.  It consists entirely of prisms and lenses (the beamsplitter is a cemented pair of prisms).  The focusing patch is dim but usable.  I was simply comparing it to other rangefinder cameras I have.  It's not the worst I've seen.  My problem is that I had to loosen the clamp on the beamsplitter to get access to clean it and now I can't figure out an easy way to get it back into its proper position.  Just a miniscule position change makes a huge difference in the viewfinder.  But, like I said, I just need to study it more.

@John Seaman I completely agree about the lack of concern about ergonomics.  In fact, here's a 1937 Consumers Union review of the Weltini comparing it to the Certo Dollina II.  They make no mention of the odd placement of controls.

722705369_ConsumersUnion.thumb.jpg.dbba58b4d464197e5d77f7886edaaf41.jpg

@bruce_z._li2 This camera is built with quality parts but they're just put together wrong.  Kind of like a Picasso painting.  Also, the Xenon lens already has an excellent reputation so, in that respect, I don't feel a strong desire to publish results.  Typically, I like to show good results obtained from cameras/lenses that are not so well known.

@Julio Fernandez  Yes, this camera might be a delight for a left-handed person as long as they don't wear eyeglasses and don't mind constantly removing/replacing the lens filter/hood to adjust the aperture.  Also, I forgot to mention that you have to press a "button" on the bottom front of the camera after every exposure to wind the film to the next frame.  Who wouldn't appreciate that extra step?

Edited by gary green