New Nikkor Z 85 f1.2 and 26m f2.8 Lens Announcement

mike_halliwell

I expect that the 85 S will be very good.

I have the 28/2.8, wonder if the 26 will be "better".  When checking the 28 out initially, I thought it was good enough.  Recently, I shot an event with it, and was not overwhelmed with the OK results.  For a single lens/camera combo, I would take 28mm over a 26, but the 26 would pair with the 40 or better yet with a possible future 50 compact.

Edited by robert_bouknight1

15 minutes ago, robert_bouknight1 said:

was not overwhelmed

This makes interesting reading..

https://www.lenstip.com/624.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_Z_28_mm_f_2.8_(SE).html

Res. is OK in the centre. Coma is iffy wide open and I've never seem such 'pretty' red/cyan edges....😱

But for £260...... not so bad.

I wonder what the price tag is going to be for the 26mm?

I won't be after the 85mm 1.2!

Maybe I just need to boost the picture controls a little with the 28.  Images were just a little "flat" compared to what I am used to getting with lenses like the 50/1.8S and 14-30.  There was more distortion than I remember with other 28s, as well.  It was a flat, gray day, though.

DSC_2103 sf.JPG

Edited by robert_bouknight1

To be clear, those are "development announcements," not actual product announcements with lens MTF curves, size, weight, price and delivery date. Those two lenses have been on the roadmaps for a while. The main confirmation is that the 85mm S is an f1.2, which is also expected.

20 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

To be clear, those are "development announcements," not actual product announcements with lens MTF curves, size, weight, price and delivery date. Those two lenses have been on the roadmaps for a while. The main confirmation is that the 85mm S is an f1.2, which is also expected.

So what is the distinction between a "road map", a "development announcement" and a "product announcement"?

"We may make it" vs "we will most likely make it sometime" vs "we are really going to make it soon" ?

Niels

24 minutes ago, NHSN said:

I really hope they will make the pancake 26mm soon. It is close to perfect for my needs.

Hoping it will be with metal mount but it is probably unlikely.

The mount does appear to be metal from the press release photograph, though hardly likely to be important on a lens that weighs around 100g.

2 hours ago, NHSN said:

So what is the distinction between a "road map", a "development announcement" and a "product announcement"?

"We may make it" vs "we will most likely make it sometime" vs "we are really going to make it soon" ?

It looks like Nikon has nothing substantial among cameras and lenses to announce at the CES so that they use this “development announcement” to fill in some gaps. In the last 2, 3 years, Nikon no longer provides maximum aperture information on not-yet-announced lenses on the roadmap. For a while we were wondering whether the other 400 S (besides the 400/2.8) would be f4, f4.5 or f5.6 and was PF or not. This development announcement confirms the 85mm is f1.2 and 26mm is f2.8, both are not surprises.

Keep in mind that only Panasonic has new cameras and a lens to announce at the CES. Canon, Olympus and Sony have nothing. Nikon has next to nothing.

1 hour ago, robert_davies2 said:

The mount does appear to be metal from the press release photograph, though hardly likely to be important on a lens that weighs around 100g.

You are right - it looks there is a little shine that could be metal - fingers crossed.

Metal certainly matters if you often replace lenses. My 40/2.0 is already showing wear on the plastic mount and I wouldn't have minded paying  $50 or whatever extra for it being metal.

• Like 1
Niels

• 1 month later...

Those two lenses are now officially announced:

The length of the 26mm is 23.5mm, a real pancake. However, it is essentially $500 ($499.95), not as inexpensive as the 40/2 and 28/2.8, which have a plastic mount.

The 85mm/f1.2 S is kind of pricy (as expected) at $2799.95.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of the 26mm. It seems when comparing its MTF to the 28/2.8, the 26 is clearly sharper in the center but a bit worse in the corners. Ricci's video suggests the out of focus areas are a bit busier with the 26 than the 28. And the AF makes an audible sound in the 26.

This lens can be placed in the pocket of my photo backpack in place of much larger wide angle lenses when I expect to be mainly shooting with a tele so the bag size can be more tightly optimized for the tele and camera body. I also think it would be a great lens to use on a remote camera that captures the overall view from above as the smaller lens would make it less obvious and also it is less expensive than (say) the 24/1.8 S or a wide angle zoom so in case someone bumps into the remote camera by accident, the damage is likely to be less costly to recover from (and bumping into the pancake is perhaps less likely than to a larger lens). I have long wanted to use a radio-triggered remote camera to photograph the wedding ceremony from the balcony but I've not been sure if I can manage the logistics of it. A smaller lens will make it a bit more likely for me to try it.

For street photography it might make people less camera-concious and produce different results than when a larger lens is used.

I can't really say the 85/1.2 does anything for me but trigger the "this is excessive" feeling. I do use the 105/1.4 on a regular basis because its high image quality at f/1.4 makes it more reliable (in terms of focus keeper rate and also because images from it can be cropped more often to fill in what might have been a 135 situation) than earlier fast short tele primes and I guess the 85/1,2 is only slightly more excessive than that, but still it is not on my list.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

47 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

That 26mm on the Z9 is going to make it back heavy....🤣

I can't imagine the main target for Nikon with the 26mm is Z9 users. 😀

Now that there is such a tiny lens it would be nice to see a gripless Zf (like Zfc, but FX). It would be a nice fit for the 26mm. The Zfc should also be a good fit as the 26mm center sharpness seems very high.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NHSN said:

Wow - brave new world 😉 

I'd have thought you'd have liked the....

• The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture reduces image blur caused by camera shake, even during hand-held shooting.

I suppose it is fast compared to some of these remarkably slow MF independent wide lenses that seem to be out 1 a week! 🤣

Mind you, with 3 aspheric elements (a record??) it's cheap at $500.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

I'd have thought you'd have liked the....

• The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture reduces image blur caused by camera shake, even during hand-held shooting.

I suppose it is fast compared to some of these remarkably slow MF independent wide lenses that seem to be out 1 a week! 🤣

Mind you, with 3 aspheric elements (a record??) it's cheap at $500.

It's fast compared to other autofocus lenses of similar size (i.e. the 16-50mm DX)? Marketing must make the best of what they have. 🙂

The shape of some of the elements does make one wonder how they can make them...

Edited by ilkka_nissila

I noticed that the 26mm extends it front element 6mm when focusing close-up. That would seemingly not allow filters directly on the lens, but would have to be put on the front of the hood? Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Auto translation from a Japanese industry site:

https://dc-watch-impress-co-jp.translate.goog/docs/news/1475931.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=da

image.png.085386545a65e0f8894035850bcb4b40.png

Edited by NHSN
  • Like 1
Niels