praktica mtl3 shutter/curtain repair

hiya fellas!

Im currently fixing up a praktica mtl3 ive had laying around for a while now, it has the strangest issue!
Whenever the advance lever gets cocked, the curtain "fires", and the mirror stays in place.

Now, ive located the issue, or at least part of it, to this little scrap of metal not catching the curtain when the advance lever is pulled. (see image)

However, while its nice that i know whats wrong, how the heck do i go about fixing it? ive tried loosening the screw thats on there and lubing up the general area, but to no avail!

(ive seen some videos of the shutter in action and that dang piece is supposed to move!)

any ideas, tips or references would be greatly appreciated! 
spacer.png

Edited by probablypasta

The pin you can see by the yellow wire in your picture has to travel to the top of the groove, push the "scrap of metal", which is a hook, out of the way, and get past it so that the hook can engage the pin. I have included two pictures to show this.

IMG_5580s.jpg

IMG_5581s.jpg

Any Praktica L series shutter will fit your camera - it may be better to transplant a working shutter into it.

Edited by John Farrell

hi john! since the issue here is that the system thats supposed to engage the hook so the pin can rest on it doesnt move a millimeter, even when cocking the shutter, means this camera might be all gone, thanks for the tip though! i might be able to find a working body somewhere, but at that point it might just be easier to use that body in its entirety instead of transplanting the shutter and just make this camera one i can use for parts! (also, i probably shouldve specified that the hook itself does not move, oops!)

• Like 1