W/NW 2022 Pic-O'-The-Week #51

Great shots, already here on this site.  It's Christmas eve here in Oz.  May you all have a joyous and safe Christmas. My shots were done today. My monochrom and go to 75mm Voigtlander (aka Cosina), though I'm now using an EVF to compensate for what I think is focus drift on the rf and failing eyesight.   We had some friends around for a lunch today. The first is Craig, who refuses to wear a shirt, much to the chagrin of my spouse - still, she abides. The second is Wayne, whom I've photographed before. We've taken to washing his clothes. The third is Ollie, who lives in the flats just up from us - he has some vascular issues which may well take him to glory shortly. The gender balance is short here, none invited turned up; Leonie, Katie, and Jazzie, much missed.  Still, these are friends, and deserved a good lunch.  If I can do an aside, I re-read Athanasius' De Incarnatione this last week. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1). 

L1003707.jpg

L1003706.jpg

L1003705.jpg

• Like 9

Hi All, many thanks to Bill for getting this week's thread started! I just returned from my trip late last night just in time to celebrate the holidays. Here's a quick shot this morning with my trusty Leica M8 and the 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M (the one with the built-in goggles, on the M8 giving a 180mm lens equivalent) at closest focus, a sort of "Faux-Macro." Have a merry and safe Christmas everyone!

Cheers, Allan

L1010943 (2) R.JPG

• Like 6

Allan Cobb.  Tell me about the goggled elmarit. A picture would be even better. I had always thought that goggled lenses couldn't be used on post M3 bodies.  Am I mistaken? I have two goggled lenses, one a 35mm summaron, the other a DR summicron.  Both are permanently affixed to a couple of shabby M3's, one a single stroke, and one an early double stroke.  The DR I got cheap, as, well, it has 'issues'.  I do like the vibrancy of the colour in your shot. Take care.  Regards, Arthur (apiarist1 - though I don't know why I persist with that, my bees have long since gone.  First decimated by small hive beetle, and then finished off to varroa, which turned up on the east coast of NSW several months ago. Plus ca change)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

... I had always thought that goggled lenses couldn't be used on post M3 bodies.  Am I mistaken? ...

Most Leica M cameras will take goggled lenses. The M5, M6TTL, M7, and digital M cameras will not take some goggled lenses (but can be modified to work) because of the height of their top plates. Of course, the CL is a non-starter because its RF system is completely different compared to any other.

Edited by Bill Blackwell Images
  • Like 2

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

5 hours ago, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

Allan Cobb.  Tell me about the goggled elmarit. A picture would be even better. I had always thought that goggled lenses couldn't be used on post M3 bodies.  Am I mistaken? I have two goggled lenses, one a 35mm summaron, the other a DR summicron.  Both are permanently affixed to a couple of shabby M3's, one a single stroke, and one an early double stroke.  The DR I got cheap, as, well, it has 'issues'.  I do like the vibrancy of the colour in your shot. Take care.  Regards, Arthur (apiarist1 - though I don't know why I persist with that, my bees have long since gone.  First decimated by small hive beetle, and then finished off to varroa, which turned up on the east coast of NSW several months ago. Plus ca change)

Hi Arthur, thanks! Here's my 135/2.8 affixed to my M8. Even though it's a 135mm lens, it will bring up the 90mm framelines on all M bodies to aid in focusing. The only quirk is that the M8 has no 135mm framelines, the thought being with the crop factor, accurate focusing would be unreliable. I'm lucky in that my lens/camera rangefinder focusing works perfectly. But even better is this lens with the M240 (and later M bodies) with live view, where focus-peaking can be utilized and the true capabilities of this underrated lens can be fully realized. They can be had relatively cheaply and are a true bargain, but the biggest drawbacks are its size and weight that shies away many.  Here's a description of the lens from Leica-Wiki. Its 3 versions were produced from 1963 to 1996. I have the 3rd version; the earlier versions were the same optically with only minor cosmetic changes through its production life.

I don't suppose it's possible to start anew with the hive?

Cheers, Allan

20221224_184422_resized (2).jpg

• Like 6