Tablet for combining photos?

A portable device for people that travel a lot? 

In this video, he goes home and combines photos in light room.

But what about people who traveling in isolated areas with no wifi connection?  

Is there a tablet, something portable that could be used to combine it few hundred star photos into one photo with star trails.  Is light room online only?  I'm looking for offline.  If I was shooting half the night, and needed to recharge my batteries with a solar panel during the day.  I would need something to do all day.  Work on the previous nights photos perhaps.  I do a lot of hiking in the Backcountry.  On a dark and moonless night, I might like to sit in the same place for a few days.

WiFi in terms of Lightroom Classic or other Adobe products?
The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline with an annual subscription. Month to month, much less! 

See: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-apps-services-desktop.html

The verification takes a tiny amount of bandwidth, if you had a cell phone and service and tethered that to the laptop (if that was what you used), verification could take place.  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Does it have to be an ipad?  Computer wizard I am not.  I took couple of Photoshop classes twenty years ago. so I could probably get by with tutorials.   As far as cloud storage, I don't trust it.  I only want to combine photos, then save the finished product on my own card.

"Light Pollution Map - DarkSiteFinder.com" https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#7/23.483/-109.764

If the dark skies map shows up, you will see why I said offline.

How about a MacBook Air M2? The real Lightroom (Lightroom Classic) will be darn fast for just about anything you throw at it, you can get Photoshop with the Photo plan too.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/?afid=p238|sS5GAoNB9-dm_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_633215287356_pgrid_110391415659_pntwk_g_pchan__pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-mac--slid---product-

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I need to stress the hiking part.  It can only be so big.  

I don't know the stats for computers .  If you pay more it's faster.  Clearly I have no expertise on the subject.

Can something smaller and more affordable get the job done?  Something les desirable to thieves if I travel in central America?

Yes, the M1...

I don't know what it takes to get the job done so tells us more about the job? You are shooting raws, what size, you need to process how many at once, etc?

In camera I can combine 10 photos. Z5.  Now that I finally have a FX I am trying to follow my obsession.  Photos with star trails.  Like the video I posted above.  Raw files are 6014 x 4014.  The video says it's better to combine a lot of short shorts instead of one long shot.  Ten 600 second shots combined in camera leave room for improvement.  

A few dozen to hundreds of raw shots.  It's new.  I don't have an exact answer.  I did find a moon rise chart.  There will many opportunities later in December to practice.

In the OP's linked video, most of the 'grunt work' of combining the star pictures was done with a free and freestanding piece of software called 'Sequator', and on the Sequator site it says this:

"* Sorry for Mac/Linux users, Sequator only supports Windows currently. Linux users may try to run via wine+ vcrun2015." 

Also, I see nothing done in PhotoShop or LR that couldn't also be done in the free and freestanding GIMP editor + the RAW editor from whatever camera manufacturer. 

Still picture editing just doesn't need the power of an M2 mac, nor anything like it. Pre 'cloud' versions of Photoshop and GIMP run quite adequately on an old Intel i3 (4 core/4thread 2.5GHz or thereabouts) Windows laptop, provided it has enough memory. But 8 GB DDR3 laptop memory modules are ridiculously cheap these days, and easy to install. 

OTOH: Using a tablet running Android? - probably not an option for any serious image editing. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

4 hours ago, chrismitchell said:

If you pay more it's faster. 

Nah, not necessarily. I've noticed that the price of laptop computers has rocketed recently, while the basic spec has been minimised. With lower-end models now cheaping out with only 4GB of RAM and a pissy 128GB SSD fitted. Pitiful! 

Better to get a used model from a few years back with something like an i5 and 8 or 16GB of RAM. Then upgrade the old spinning HDD with a 1TB SSD. Here in the UK there are plenty of small computer stores that would do that for you, quite cheaply. 

Are you backpacking? And will be out for several days?  If so some kind of tablet would be more durable than a computer. Also you will need a portable battery charger. A good resource for this is a YouTube channel called Homemade Wanderlust.  The woman who owns is a thru-hiker who does a lot of video and photography on the trail. She's done the Appalachian, CDT and PCT trails plus several others.  I don't know if she edits on the trail but you could ask her.  If you're doing mostly day hiking and car camping then there's more choice.

"YouTube channel called Homemade Wanderlust"

I Can carry ten days worth of food in a bear can.  Most of my hiking is in the Pacific northwest. Also Yellowstone

I took a Four day bicycle trip in the mountains of Baja around the dark of the moon last month.  If you look at a moon rise chart, you might notice that towards the end of this month there will be many opportunities to shoot star photos.  Maybe traveling by bicycle in Baja California Sur.  About a weeks worth.  Some birds showed me where there is a fresh water spring about 50 miles south of Bahia de Los Angeles.  (Hows that for dark skies?)

The gents above are saying that a tablet isn't good enough.