Any Ideas?

I just developed a roll of Arista 120 B&W 400 speed film and, when I removed the film from the tank, I noticed this large, meandering mark running the entire length of the roll.  The mark is on the clear (non-emulsion) side of the film.  The mark even meanders off the edge of the film for two frames before returning.  It doesn't appear to be a scratch.  Instead, it almost looks like something has been applied with a brush.

I used inversion agitation development in a Paterson tank.  Other than this obscene mark, the negatives came out fine on the emulsion side.

I'd like to think that this is a defective roll from the factory since I can't think of any other explanation.  See pictures below.  The 2nd picture is a zoomed in shot of the first picture.  Any ideas?

20221129_180452.thumb.jpg.3aacbd5b8104f974a12bcaed295259ba.jpg

20221129_180452_2.thumb.jpg.7d02676f0caa29e97b2bcfcf3b0c436b.jpg

The mark is smooth, not a scratch nor does it appear to be a build-up of any sort.  I examined it under magnification with a small torch under varying angles on both sides of the film.  It's as if it is a discoloration in the film base itself.

I'm inclined to believe it's a manufacturing defect.  I may spend some effort to contact the company for a replacement roll but not very hopeful.