Nikkor 35mm AF-D overexposing on D850

iosif_astrukov

nick_davis - no, I am quite careful with my lenses, never left to extreme temperatures, at least that I could remember, actually I never leave my photo bag in a car - as where I live there is little chance to find it afterwards 😉 

the service said something like 20-30$ for the cleaning, but no answer yet

I didn't save the test images, to achieve any effects on the image there should be various /not simultaneous/ movements of the blades, otherwise as other pointed there would be only bright image, as it was, not even vignetting 

On 12/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, iosif_astrukov said:

the service said something like 20-30$ for the cleaning

That sounds remarkably cheap, considering that the lens has to be almost completely dismantled to do the job properly. And with the risk of tearing the ribbon-cable attaching the 'chip' to the AF motor. 

There's gotta be at least an hour's labour involved. 

Interesting. Almost as if Nikon had designed the whole lens for easy access to an oily aperture! 

Personally, I'd have dropped the whole iris assembly into a bath of methylated spirit as soon as it was lifted free. 

The guy ought to treat himself to one of those miniature Chinese-made cheap electric screwdrivers too. And a set of rubber O rings to use as friction wrenches. Cos' there's no way that the front-ring of that lens came out of the factory only finger tight. 

But nothing explains how the darned oil got onto the blades in the first place.