Nikon N90s No Autofocus

wogears

Hello!

I took out my old N90s the other day, put fresh batteries in it and checked it out. Autofocus is missing. Does not show up on screen, nor does it work with known-good AF Nikkors. No soap in AF-S or AF-C. Manual focus is fine, as are all other functions. I expect it could be the AF motor, except with a broken or weak motor, it should still show up on the screen? Anyone with an idea, or remember a similar problem? I know it was an "out" camera, but I like it.

Thanks

Les

Check the contacts on the body that connect to the lens. If it’s been sitting a while it may simply be that those contacts are a bit dirty and the communication with the lens is not happening. This can happen even if it’s kept in a clean controlled environment. A little alcohol on a q-tip should do it. 

Rick H.

12 hours ago, Rick Helmke said:

Check the contacts on the body that connect to the lens. If it’s been sitting a while it may simply be that those contacts are a bit dirty and the communication with the lens is not happening. This can happen even if it’s kept in a clean controlled environment. A little alcohol on a q-tip should do it. 

Rick H.

Tried that several times. It's not the contacts. 😞

14 hours ago, Rick Helmke said:

I’ve got a couple and use them more or less regularly for fun. They were very good in their day. Sounds like you can at least use it in manual mode and good ones are available now for not much money.

Rick H.

I got one for $32 with shipping. Took me a day to get it to remember where it was, now it's working. I'd still like to fix the old one.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, wogears said:

I took out my old N90s the other day, put fresh batteries in it and checked it out.

I think the 'put fresh batteries in' bit might be relevant. 

My F801s behaves quite erratically after a battery change if fresh batteries are put in too soon after taking out the old ones. I've had symptoms from the camera becoming totally unresponsive to refusing to rewind. 

Try taking the batteries out and leaving them out for a couple of minutes before re-inserting. Keeping your fingers crossed while you do that.

I'm not sure if there's a magic combination of button presses to reset the camera, but if there is, I ain't found it yet!