Problem With Hassy 2003FCW, shutter getting randomly stuck, help.

pavelkupcik

I already posted this once, but the post disappeared during the site upgrade last week so am reposting.

---------------

Hi, I have a friend who recently bought Hasselblad 2003FCW that’s giving him some problems and I'm trying to help him find a solution.

Very frequently the shutter button seems to get stuck and I’m not able to fire off a shot. It seems to happen more frequently if the camera is unused for some short period of time, e.g. an hour or a day. I do leave the camera wound at all times.

When the problem happens, I’m able to recover from it doing any of the following:
•    Rewind the shutter using the middle button on the crank as to not advance the film
•    Lift the mirror up
•    Remove lens
•    Remove back – which opens the rear curtain, and then rewind the shutter.

After I get it unstuck, I’m usually able to fire off multiple shots without a problem, but if the camera sits idle the shutter gets stuck again, sometimes even just after few minutes.

The problem is reproducible with two different backs and two different lenses 80mm CF and 50mm CF.

Any advice on what could be the problem and how to get it fixed? Is there anything obvious to check? 

Thank you.

So he tried it in C mode with and without battery and the problem is still there.

If it was electrical problem, I would think that some of the potential remedies wouldn't make sense, e.g. lifting mirror up, removing lens. It seems like these remedies reduce the amount of pressure needed on the shutter mechanism. 

Edited by pavelkupcik

On 10/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, pavelkupcik said:

So he tried it in C mode with and without battery and the problem is still there.

Well, that is sort of good news, in that it's likely a mechanical problem, which is correctable. Something in the mirror release mechanism is sticky, probably due to old lube. It does not sound like it's an electromagnet issue, which would be an end of life event as there are not spares, and they are extremely difficult to rebuild.

The next issue is finding someone to fix it.

Edited by tom_chow
addendum
"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

20 hours ago, tom_chow said:

Well, that is sort of good news, in that it's likely a mechanical problem, which is correctable. Something in the mirror release mechanism is sticky, probably due to old lube. It does not sound like it's an electromagnet issue, which would be an end of life event as there are not spares, and they are extremely difficult to rebuild.

The next issue is finding someone to fix it.

He contacted bunch of repair places we could find in various online posts, but so far either received no response or feedback that only 500 series can be serviced.

Is there anything we could try ourselves? Clean some gear or add lubricant?

1 hour ago, pavelkupcik said:

He contacted bunch of repair places we could find in various online posts, but so far either received no response or feedback that only 500 series can be serviced.

Is there anything we could try ourselves? Clean some gear or add lubricant?

You could try, if you have enough  experience doing things like this, have a manual, and the tools not only to disassemble but also to adjust the camera appropriately.

But do consider the fact that experienced and well equipped repair shops decline working on these cameras. Know what you get into.

But if the camera is a write-off as it is now, nothing to lose.

I do not know of anyone still working on the 2000fcw. The issue is lack of parts. If say, I spend an hour taking it apart, and discover there is a broken plastic sleeve that is not available, then you would be out a few $100 and still have a broken camera. I don't mind doing that on my own bin of parts, but not for other people. You might find someone local that is willing to have a look, but they are hard to find these days. Ask around at the local camera shows.

Hasselblad, New Jersey USA was the last place I new that would still do a CLA on these cameras. Officially they no longer service them, but if you called and talk to the one person there that still worked on them, he would often have a look.

Also, the cost of such a service is probably the same as buying another working body...

Edited by tom_chow
"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

I'm fairly good with fixing equipment, but never opened up a Hasselblad, if I wanted to try to open up the 2003FCW, where would I start? Are there any tutorials, do's and don'ts type of things? What kind of specialty tools would I need, where to get them? I could not find service manual for 2000 series anywhere, only found one for 201F and 203FE. Would any of these be a good enough approximation for 2003FCW? 

Thank you.

You should indeed begin, i think, with trying to find a repair manual. Theye were 'out there' on the internet at one time. Poor photocopies. But better than nothing.

Without one of those, i wouldn't do anything if you have hopes of reviving the camera.

I haven't tried disassembling a 2000 or 200-series camera body myself, ever. But a rough approximation, could be. The 200 and 2000 series do differ in many points, and how useful a 200-series repair manual is could be tested. Try following the steps described in the 200-series manual. As soon as you see major differences between the manual and the camera, reconsider what to do.

See also:

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/424962-hasselblad-2000fcm-servicerepair-manual/

Edited by q.g._de_bakker