Wednesday Landscapes, 12 October 2022

Leslie Reid

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

Since we're still in mid-transition, I decided on another just-before sunrise photo. I'm amazed at how smoothly this platform change is going, and I think I'm going to be very happy with the end result.

R01-IMG_1513.jpg.635dbb954b5591fa43c2cdfe81b8e12b.jpg

• Like 10

Here's a recent scan of a film photo I shot in my early days with film (November 2017).

I bought a used Canon AE-1 Program camera with a fast 50mm lens on it for next to nothing at a sale. I shot it on "auto" for a while, before I decided to teach myself the craft of shooting manually. Set to focus at infinity, the camera wouldnt always get it right, yet at least some of the pics still had some appeal - to me at least! Maybe it's just the nostalgia for the trip or for the moment, but in spite of imperfections, IMO there's some misty-eyed magic in this.

Kodak Tri-X 400 film, somewhere in Cornwall, England

I'd be pleased to hear any feedback on this shot. I'm clealry not capable of critical thought here, if this is pure cr@p, can somebody please tell me so? LOL 

spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ricochetrider said:

I'd be pleased to hear any feedback on this shot.

I like it (and for years I shot almost completely in TriX--I got a lot of use out of that film). Your use of leading lines here is very well done--I'm irresistibly invited into the heart of the image. The subject is also very engaging--this is sooo Cornwall, and I'm enjoying the dreamy quality here. What software do you use for scanning and post-processing? I have trouble getting sharp focus on scanned images, and end up having to routinely crank up the sharpening to a ridiculous extent in post. There's also a bit of toning here--don't know if you intended it or not. If not, you can desaturate in post or just do a B&W conversion (seems redundant for a B&W original, but it works). Nice image!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ricochetrider said:

Here's a recent scan of a film photo I shot in my early days with film (November 2017).

I bought a used Canon AE-1 Program camera with a fast 50mm lens on it for next to nothing at a sale. I shot it on "auto" for a while, before I decided to teach myself the craft of shooting manually. Set to focus at infinity, the camera wouldnt always get it right, yet at least some of the pics still had some appeal - to me at least! Maybe it's just the nostalgia for the trip or for the moment, but in spite of imperfections, IMO there's some misty-eyed magic in this.

Kodak Tri-X 400 film, somewhere in Cornwall, England

I'd be pleased to hear any feedback on this shot. I'm clealry not capable of critical thought here, if this is pure cr@p, can somebody please tell me so? LOL 

spacer.png

Just great Rico - It's got a dreamlike quality and an unusual but appealing toning. Everyone has their camera of choice, or eight, but seeing this and 'old stuff' from past photographers makes me wonder how Leica stays in business.

A sharp kid with a cereal box can make some wonderful images.  

• Like 1

Why do I say things...

Thanks for the positive commentary on my pic.  This is a straight scan of a negative from 2017, I didnt do anything to it, so whatever happened, happened at the lab. Originally, I got a  pack of not very good 4x6 proof prints. Recently, on a whim, I went back through this pack of prints for a revisit- and found that I liked  more images than I had originally, so I sent the negs out for scanning. My line of reasoning was that perhaps the negatives would be sharper than the proof prints... but NO!  As for the toning... a couple prints from this roll of film had that almost sepia tone to them... Not sure why, but it was certainly both hit-&,miss, and a surprise. It works pretty well for the subject matter tho!  

Somewhere there's (apparently) a 2nd roll of Tri-X I shot on this same holiday, Guess I need to dig it up and revisit it as well, one of the shots from it I acrually had printed and is on display in our living room. It's a great shot of an old stone house (go figure,  in England of all places, right?) with a massive vine growing  on it, from a tiny village up in the Derbyshire Peaks District.  

Cheers! 

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 1

I took this shot at Watkins Glen, NY. Challenging shot only because of restricted composition due to very well defined path and unable to get perfect POV. This shot I was not too pleased about not getting the complete canyon walls towards the right. 53mm, 1.5s exposure, f14

0P7A6315-Edit.jpg

Edited by Chakravarthy
  • Like 5