Visit Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls, New River Gorge NP and Bobcock SP?

abhishek_singh8

Hello... I will be flying to Atlanta and visiting Great Smoky Mountains area from October 20. I will have 10 days. After staying couple of days in GSMNP area, I will move to Asheville and/Boone. On my last day I will fly out from Atlanta.
I am browsing other lot of places, what are interesting setups, sceneries and also if I can see some good colors.  Along with GSMNP, Boone, Asheville I am seeing other interesting places New River Gorge National Park, Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP. If I have to choose these as well, I will shorten my days of Boone/Asheville and visit them as well. I am reading and browsing, if driving these extra miles are worth? Some old post say, they are amazing and different than Blue Ridge Park area, while others say that staying in/around NC should be good enough to see lot of similar scenery.
If someone visited these places, would like to comment please?
My focus will be photography of scenery, landscapes and hopefully some good fall colors.

Thanks

You should add the Biltmore Mansion, in Asheville, to. your list. It's not trees and rocks, but an interesting view of what unfathomable wealth can accomplish. The tour is quite comprehensive, and the grounds are beautiful.

The drive from GSMNP to Asheville is spectacular in it's own right. You may even be treated to a land slide or rock fall.

As you will find, you can only see the grand landscape in certain areas. Most of the time your view will be obstructed by trees. The next time I visit will include a drone. It can't be used in a national park, but most other areas are permitted. You really see the trees differently from 100' high.

You will encounter a LOT of traffic in the Smokies. Last August there was a line of cars into Cades Cove from the park entrance, over five miles. Try to get to the park early, no later than 10 am.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Biltmore Mansion is my plan and I will do advance booking for that. And also I will do Cades Cove on weekday. Hopefully that will ease some crowd.
At present I have booking at Asheville and then I will move to Gatlinburg. My delima and options are -
- I should spit my stay between Asheville and Boone. If there are more places around Boone and it would be difficult to do from Asheville.
- I can do day trip from Asheville till Boone and come back to Asheville
- I can do a big loop starting Asheville, Boone, New River Gorge National Park, Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP and later back to Gatlinburg.
If there is enough good scenery in Asheville/Boone/GSMNP, I will stay within this region. If that is distinct and should not miss, then I would do extra miles.

The last 2 weeks of October and the 1st week of November are the peak times for the leaf peepers. Tens, upon tens of thousands of people congest the roads all around the Smokies. If you are staying in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge you need to allow at least 1 hour minimum to get anywhere, Cades Cove can take 2 hours to get to on the weekends, Clingmans Dome, again 2 hours especially if there is a "bear Jam". Remember, there are no services inside the Park, no gas, no food. Whatever time you allow to get from point A to B, double it. I've been going to the Smokies since 1971, it used to be that if you went Monday-Thursday the crowds were much smaller and it was easier to move around, NOT ANY MORE!!!. Good luck, have fun, the crowds will test your patience. RB

On 10/8/2022 at 9:09 AM, abhishek_singh8 said:

Hello... I will be flying to Atlanta and visiting Great Smoky Mountains area from October 20. I will have 10 days. After staying couple of days in GSMNP area, I will move to Asheville and/Boone. On my last day I will fly out from Atlanta.
I am browsing other lot of places, what are interesting setups, sceneries and also if I can see some good colors.  Along with GSMNP, Boone, Asheville I am seeing other interesting places New River Gorge National Park, Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP. If I have to choose these as well, I will shorten my days of Boone/Asheville and visit them as well. I am reading and browsing, if driving these extra miles are worth? Some old post say, they are amazing and different than Blue Ridge Park area, while others say that staying in/around NC should be good enough to see lot of similar scenery.
If someone visited these places, would like to comment please?
My focus will be photography of scenery, landscapes and hopefully some good fall colors.

Thanks
Sandstone Falls definitely worth it in my opinion! Been there while visiting my uncle to help him with hunting hogs(had a chance to shoot AR 15  https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearms/rifles/ar-15-rifles/ for the first time! Definitely quite an experience

Sandstone Falls definitely worth it in my opinion!

Edited by Neely