Wednesday Landscapes, 31 August 2022

Leslie Reid

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

I don’t seem to be able to get off the topic of creeks meeting oceans, but at least this is a different creek. Same ocean. There are only two kinds of waves here, but one is the strangest I’ve ever seen (with the exception of the Fukushima tsunami, but that’s a different story with no photos). This is about an hour after the lowest point of a minus tide, so the creek is flowing across a relatively steep portion of the beach front. For about a 20-minute period, when the backwash of a particularly high wave would add to the flow from the creek, flow would go supercritical at the thalweg of the creek and form a train of about a dozen rooster-tails, each up to about 2 ft high and 6 inches wide, lasting for maybe 20 seconds. I’ve never seen anything like it before or since.

D03-_MG_4724-Edit-2.jpg.47a8034367384d2a9c2540761b44d96f.jpg

and a different view:

D03-_MG_4707.jpg.499b48bac9d303429bce4b64b15ba4b1.jpg

I suppose this falls into the category of "Documentary Landscape Photography."

• Like 6

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

I don’t seem to be able to get off the topic of creeks meeting oceans, but at least this is a different creek. Same ocean. There are only two kinds of waves here, but one is the strangest I’ve ever seen (with the exception of the Fukushima tsunami, but that’s a different story with no photos). This is about an hour after the lowest point of a minus tide, so the creek is flowing across a relatively steep portion of the beach front. For about a 20-minute period, when the backwash of a particularly high wave would add to the flow from the creek, flow would go supercritical at the thalweg of the creek and form a train of about a dozen rooster-tails, each up to about 2 ft high and 6 inches wide, lasting for maybe 20 seconds. I’ve never seen anything like it before or since.

[ATTACH=full]1437978[/ATTACH]

and a different view:

[ATTACH=full]1437977[/ATTACH]

I suppose this falls into the category of "Documentary Landscape Photography."

Leslie, first I commend you on the OP images. Any photog worry her/his salt would be honored to have them in a portfolio. - - Secondly, by any chance would you know how far inland the tsunami's water reached?

• Like 1

would you know how far inland the tsunami's water reached?

I only have a general sense of it for my part of the coast. Here it showed up as a repeated oscillation between the highest tide I'd ever seen to one of the lowest I've seen, all happening over about a 20-minute period. The cycle repeated itself over several hours. I think the maximum "high tide" part of the oscillation was maybe 3 or 4 feet higher than ordinary high tides. I'd evacuated inland since we didn't know what to expect, but I had a great view of the oscillation because surfers had installed a web-cam above a local surfing beach a few years earlier. I'm happy to say that no one had taken the opportunity to surf that day, and there was no significant damage in the area.

Alan, we seem to be crossing paths again. On my first trip to Alaska, I had someone take me through the Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glacier. Your image is spectacular.

Many thanks Michael; I had two opportunities to visit the Tracy Arm (including this last cruise) and was denied each time, the first due to a passenger medical emergency, the second due to fog. Maybe the third time will be a charm!

Where are you going next? Maybe we'll cross at the same time. :)

Many thanks Michael; I had two opportunities to visit the Tracy Arm (including this last cruise) and was denied each time, the first due to a passenger medical emergency, the second due to fog. Maybe the third time will be a charm!

Where are you going next? Maybe we'll cross at the same time. :)

Sadly, our next cruise doesn't go to Alaska, but rather to the western Caribbean. I will be shooting, though.