Viltrox Nikon F->Z Adapter (New Fully Auto Nikon F > Z Adapter)

mike_halliwell

I have two FTZ adapters and one FTZii. I may sell one of the first version to upgrade to the ii version because the tripod mount blocks the vertical grip. Nikon really should have introduced the ii to begin with. That is why Viltrox’s design is puzzling.

Also as more native Z lenses are now available, perhaps some no longer use F mount lenses on the Z bodies so that they can dump their adapters.

• Like 1

That's not what i asked.

Think about an AF-S lens on a body that can drive screwdrive lenses? There's a space to allow the drive to rotate pointlessly.....!

I don't think it would try to move. It would recognize the lens as an E lens. Besides unlike the AF screw driver it can only move in a limited range.

Think about an AF-S lens on a body that can drive screwdrive lenses? There's a space to allow the drive to rotate pointlessly.....!

Don't you still have such bodies and AF-S lenses to check?

The tip of that "screwdriver" retracts below the surface of the F mount when a lens is mounted. If it is a manual-focus lens or an AF-S (including AF-I and AF-P) lens, the screwdriver wouldn't rotate to attempt to drive AF. Of course, if that malfunctions, it may try to "drill a hole" on the lens' mount, but that has never happened to me before, since buying my first AF body in the N8008 in 1989.

Looking back, that is such a "stone age" way to auto focus.

• Like 1