How do mount adapter fare ?

Hi. I'm considering transitioning progressively to mirrorless (yeah, I know, I'm a bit late). Anyway, during that transition period, I'd like to mount my Nikkor reflex lenses on my new (probably) Sony Alpha A7 something something. Can I count on the adapter ring (the one that adapts the electronics too of course) to make this seamless, or is that looking for bugs ?

Thanks in advance

Adapter rings work just fine. In the case of Nikon lenses, I've even found a way to autofocus a number of them on the A7, using a Techart LM-EA7 and adapters (Nikon->Canon FD, Canon FD->Leica M), although I generally prefer to manually focus lenses on the A7.NI.thumb.JPG.0316432edde1b22d58ee0f4d09ba1587.JPG

Can I count on the adapter ring (the one that adapts the electronics too of course) to make this seamless

In short: No.

Adapters claiming to convert the AF and other electronics of one make of lens to a different make of MILC rarely work seamlessly, if at all IME. Although the Sony A to E mount adapter works reasonably well with some A and Minolta mount lenses.

Anyway, the old Reflex Nikkors are all manual aren't they? And with no aperture control. So just get a cheap manual F to Sony E adapter. If you get an adapter that's G lens compatible (with a stop-down ring) it'll also allow more modern AF Nikkors to be used. Obviously with the loss of AF and body control of aperture.

But I can almost guarantee you'll only end up re-kitting with Sony or native Sony mount lenses. Adapted lenses are mostly disappointing performers, optically, on a high-res Sony sensor.

• Like 1

Rodeo Joe and I came to differing conclusions. So let me clarify some points which may illuminate our differences. You asked about adapter rings which adapt the electronics. I think this is where some confusion exists. I'm not aware of adapter rings which connect the non-native lens electronics to the camera electronics if that is what you mean. For instance a Nikon lens on the A7 (unless you're using a Techart adapter + appropriate intermediate adapters) won't autofocus, won't transfer metadata, and the diaphragm must be manually controlled. If you're using a Sony lens made for the A7 that all changes. Does that mean you can't use Nikon lenses easily on theA7...no, but you do have to do certain things manually. You can get autoexposure,, you do have choices of metering, along with other features similar to many DSLRs, BUT in a nutshell you will have to manually select a aperture, and for the most part manually focus (exception above). The other issue many have seen is with particularly ultra wide angle lenses designed for film rather than digital sensors, which have rear elements protruding into the camera body, have peripheral fringing and sometimes less perfect edge focusing as the light rays hit the sensor at inefficient angles. I haven't had problems with my Voigtlander 21mm/f4 in the Leica mount, but I've heard of other 21mm users of other manufacturers who have experienced purple fringing especially at wide apertures. As far as adapted lens optical performance, I again differ with Rodeo Joe...I've had excellent results with Leica (M & screwmount) lenses, Minolta Rokkor and Zeiss/Contax lenses. I haven't been impressed with Canon FD lenses on the A7, and although I've used some Nikon lenses on the A7 very successfully, I am concerned about the weight of some in my collection putting a strain on the adapters...although I was very impressed with a 55/3.5 micro-Nikkor.

...although I was very impressed with a 55/3.5 micro-Nikkor

There I can agree, but on the whole my old Ai-S Nikkor lenses haven't been that great on digital. Not even on a Nikon D800 that readily shows up their shortcomings; most particularly a tendency to LoCa fringing.

Nikon's newer lenses designed for their digital cameras are overall much better, but some still don't play nicely with a Sony sensor. And remember the OP is specifically asking about using Nikkor lenses on a Sony MILC.

Your Techart adapter is basically an electrically-driven variable extension tube, which will obviously offer AF (only) with nearly any lens attached to the front of it. But that's totally different from adapters that claim to adapt the built-in electronics of non-Sony lenses to a Sony E-mount. Mostly, those don't work very well, and those that work at all may balk at certain lens-body combinations.

I too remain skeptical that the various adapters sold by 3rd parties to allow full AF from one brand lens to another brand's body work all that well. Just reading the reviews does not give the impression they are reliable. Some people say they work, others say they don't work at all. It is very lens dependent. Make sure to read the small print for any adapter. They should state which lenses and body versions they work with. If your lens is not on the list then beware. Even if they are on the list then beware too.

As he says though, for a lens with no aperture and/or all you want to do is manually focus a simple no-frills adapter will work.

I can't comment on Rodeo's thoughts about sensors, except that it is common knowledge that Leica M lenses (particularly wide angles) are frequently disappointing on Sony bodies, and probably vice versa.

Robin Smith