Disassembling the Lumix S Pro R70-200mm f/4 OIS (Lens Rentals)

JDMvW

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, and I hope I'm not getting tiresome about this, but I was staggered by the "step-by-step, slowly I turned" account of this disassembly, and thought a few of you might enjoy it.

Disassembling the Lumix S Pro R70-200mm f/4 OIS

In the interest of common decency, this will be my last Lens Rental link for a while, but I find these accounts fascinating in the concrete and the abstract.o_O

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, and I hope I'm not getting tiresome about this, but I was staggered by the "step-by-step, slowly I turned" account of this disassembly, and thought a few of you might enjoy it.

Disassembling the Lumix S Pro R70-200mm f/4 OIS

In the interest of common decency, this will be my last Lens Rental link for a while, but I find these accounts fascinating in the concrete and the abstract.o_O

Keep 'em coming, JDM--I always find these interesting but I'm not a regular reader of Lens Rental blogs.

Crazy complex and so many potential failure points.

I wonder what "life expectancy" Panasonic build into this lens?

Can't help but thinking how many (or few) years it takes before this lens is no longer serviceable.

This applies to most of the current mirrorless lenses - of course, not just this one.

• Like 1
Niels

Can't help but thinking how many (or few) years it takes before this lens is no longer serviceable.

This applies to most of the current mirrorless lenses - of course, not just this one.

I agree--I don't think anybody will be using one of these in 50 or 60 years in the way that I use the Zeiss lenses for my Contax cameras that were made in the 1950's. But the market demands autofocus, autoexposure and stabilization at less than astronomical prices and not weighing 8 or 10 lbs. for a 70-200 zoom so some compromises are inevitable. What I regret is that some of the optical excellence that current technology allows isn't available without all of the other bells and whistles. For my work I almost never use autofocus and never use autoexposure so I would be happy to buy a lens that was more rugged and simpler to repair but I know that I am in a small minority so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I would be happy to buy a lens that was more rugged and simpler to repair

My solution to that conundrum was to buy the old ruggeder and simpler lenses and lots of adapters. They don't have the bells and whistles but many of them are still pretty damned good image catchers.

Sometimes it IS awfully nice to have AF and AE though, especially as I get older and weaker....

My solution to that conundrum was to buy the old ruggeder and simpler lenses and lots of adapters. They don't have the bells and whistles but many of them are still pretty damned good image catchers.

Sometimes it IS awfully nice to have AF and AE though, especially as I get older and weaker....

Not having taken the leap to mirrorless yet, the adapter question is a bit problematic for me...

Possibly zero years in some cases.

I tried 4 times to get a Samyang AF 75mm f/1.8 in Sony E mount. Two of the samples received had faulty apertures that wouldn't fully stop down, and two were so de-centred it was impossible to get opposite sides of the image simultaneously in focus. All 4 were returned for a refund and I gave up.

Pity, because I have a fondness for the 75mm focal length since owning a Zeiss Jena 75mm Biotar years ago.

I've noticed a definite increase in decentring issues with lenses containing aspherical elements. When perfectly assembled they're wonderful; when not so well assembled they're horrible.