Sekonic Micro Leader L98

Given that the Sekonic Micro-Leader was a simple amateur meter and not worth much today, using an adapter (unless you have one already) or modifying the circuit may not be worth it. Assuming the meter is still accurate in the first place, a 1.4v zinc-air hearing aid battery should work well enough and is the most economical option.

While alkaline batteries are not suitable for some meters, some CdS meters work fine on them (my Sverdlovsk-4 does).

Edited by m42dave

Relic. If you want a retro fashion statement meter, look into the venerable Sekonic L 398M. Anything powered by a mercury battery requires iffy hacks and can compromise accuracy. Film and processing costs should convince you that meter accuracy matters more than ever. YMMV, as usual. Edited by c_watson|1

Thanks All

I do have a supply of 625's, the meter appears to be dead as the 625 does'nt work. It just seemed the reservoir for the battery was too big for the 625, that is why I asked

It came with an excellent, (other than the shutter wont release, It is boxed up for shipment to Mark Hama) Yashica 635 so I just thought I would try.

Just another old meter in the junk drawer.

Thanks again all

Edited by Donald Harpold

Why not hunt down a Gossen Luna Pro. Or better yet, Luna Pro F or Luna Pro SBC (the latter two accept 9V batteries). Mark Hama is awesome on Yashica TLR repairs, he built 124G in Japan when new. And one heck of a friendly gentleman.

"Why not hunt down a Gossen Luna Pro. Or better yet, Luna Pro F or Luna Pro SBC (the latter two accept 9V batteries)."

Seriously? Artifacts from the glory days of film whose once-storied accuracy can now be more a matter of faith than fact, I'm afraid. Buying the newest meter one can afford seems a better plan.

I have several Goosen Luna Pro's, I have had a couple rebuilt that work great. I also have a Sekonic L408 and a L208 and a Reveni Labs spot meter and......

Well you get the point, like most of us I have all kinds of meters I just thought I would see if this one would work since it came with the camera.

Thanks for all the comments

Don

• Like 1

"Why not hunt down a Gossen Luna Pro. Or better yet, Luna Pro F or Luna Pro SBC (the latter two accept 9V batteries)."

Seriously? Artifacts from the glory days of film whose once-storied accuracy can now be more a matter of faith than fact, I'm afraid. Buying the newest meter one can afford seems a better plan.

Not so fast. I have a bunch of Gossen Lunasix CdS meters (Lunapro in the U.S. of A.), from the earliest version to the 3s, and with adapters or adaptation to use silver oxide batteries, they work perfectly fine. Slow, yes. But no problems.

My main, everyday meters are also from Gossen: now nearly 40 years old Mastersix (Ultra-Pro). I also have older Lunasix F and Profisix meters. The Profisixes are still used as TTL meters in large format cameras. No problems with accuracy either.

Meters built in various prism finders, either fixed or exchangeable, from many decades ago also work as good as when new.

There is nothing in light meter technology that would make old meters unreliable and new meters more desirable.

• Like 1

I'd vote for a Gossen Luna Pro Silicon Blue myself. Of dozens of meters over the film years, this is the best one ever. Less needed with the wide latitude of present negative films, however.

However, the second meter I ever owned was a Sekonic L-38. It worked well for many years. like so many Ponder & Best items.

Sekonic-Leader-Deluxe-1956-12-PP.thumb.jpg.aedd9ad4f897e060e386365582eb8f5f.jpg

1956 - December

• Like 1

Not so fast. I have a bunch of Gossen Lunasix CdS meters (Lunapro in the U.S. of A.), from the earliest version to the 3s, and with adapters or adaptation to use silver oxide batteries, they work perfectly fine. Slow, yes. But no problems.

My main, everyday meters are also from Gossen: now nearly 40 years old Mastersix (Ultra-Pro). I also have older Lunasix F and Profisix meters. The Profisixes are still used as TTL meters in large format cameras. No problems with accuracy either.

Meters built in various prism finders, either fixed or exchangeable, from many decades ago also work as good as when new.

There is nothing in light meter technology that would make old meters unreliable and new meters more desirable.

You're always good for a laugh!

Apart from cell decay, dry solder joints, switch and contact corrosion, mechanical wear and tear... etc, etc.

And what are you going to compare the accuracy of that old 'barn find' used meter you've just bought with? Why, something much more modern that takes an easily found battery and with a digital readout, no doubt.

Yes, apart from mechanical wear, and other problems assumed to be bigger than they are, everything is fine.

And you know what? It is.

Those old CdS meters are as accurate and good as they were when new. Slow, still. But the suggestion that they are useless because old is ridiculous, and can only come from people who do not have a clue, or have being contrary for the sake of it on their agenda.

Mercury batteries are no longer available. Simple and cheap fixes for that problem have been available since they announced that mercury batteries will be forbidden.

Do we have more modern meters that take readily available batteries? Sure.

But that does not make the older ones inaccurate and unreliable.

Straw man. Red herring. And such.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, q.g._de_bakker said:

Those old CdS meters are as accurate and good as they were when new.

I have two dead Lunasix and one dead Sekonic Cds meters that testify otherwise. 

Have you ever tried to re-solder the fine broken wire of a moving-coil meter Q. G? 

Didn't think so, straw man. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:13 AM, rodeo_joe1 said:

I have two dead Lunasix and one dead Sekonic Cds meters that testify otherwise. 

Have you ever tried to re-solder the fine broken wire of a moving-coil meter Q. G? 

Didn't think so, straw man. 

Or the damage the Gossen Luna-Pro gets when a person with Cerebral Palsy has muscles with a mind of their own, which cause him to fall on top of his Luna-Pro. Mine had a moving coil meter which didn't work afterwards. My fault, I admit it. But I got a nice Luna-Pro F as an upgrade out of it. Which I enjoy using, now that I understand how to use it. 

Edited by Kent T