W/NW 2021 Pic-O'-The-Week #5

allancobb

Lovely pastoral scene, allancobb. My shots are leftovers from last week, Australia Day. The week has not left me much time for photoing. Had to spend time getting our chook pen up to scratch for 5 Asa Browns delivered this Thursday, only to find three escaped that night. Got two back, but one has no doubt ended up as breakfast for someone. So the shots, all with my monochrom and go to 75mm lens (though I've pulled out a zorki 5 and will try that this week):

The first, at the Australia Day pissup

photo1.thumb.jpg.087ac664b4e49ac8e916534dd8b36316.jpg

I think this may be actually a film shot from another camera - I lose track of things. One of the multitude of NDIS carers who assist in my stepsons care:

photo2.thumb.jpg.cd26e612ec9a0c4ee2776705da8aa060.jpg

And the third, from the pissup. He looks like a stunned mullet, the hapless fellow to the left:

photo3.thumb.jpg.f89f5bba0a18bdf85f2f427b4a0f7048.jpg

I continue to be amazed at the human body's capacity to sustain mutual self abuse, and yet bounce back. Keep safe, regards, Arthur. Looking forward to this week's shots.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing your photos everyone. This week a couple from the archives again, this time with a cow theme. Both with the same M4 and 21mm Super Angulon. The first is from Kathmandu, Nepal in 1970. The second is from Mamallapuram, South India in 2012. One lesson I've learned is that when you get a good camera don't trade it for a new floozie with fancy bells and whistles.

Arthur, re: your question from last week about my interest in India. I'm one of those people referred to as a Snowbird, we hate the cold and head for warmer climes as winter approaches. Most go to the southern US or Mexico, I chose India and SE Asia. They were warm and living expenses were reasonable, photographic possibilities were exceptional. People loved being photographed and if they saw you had a camera would ask to be photographed. Other photographers have found the country a good place for what I've come to call exotic street, places far from home, H.C.B. and Steve McCurry come to mind.

In time I changed location to a warmer area of Canada, (Vancouver Island) and started a new career in oceanography studying how the Pacific was handling green house gases. Work took me all over Pacific and sometimes to places well off the beaten path, best of all I was even paid to do interesting stuff. I stopped to going to India every winter and spent time exploring the Gulf Islands and building a sailboat I hoped would take me to the South Pacific. After retirement have been able to make a couple more visits to the subcontinent, in 2005 visiting the South, an area I'd largely missed before. Last trip (2012) was to revisit old haunts and see friends I'd met in the seventies.

Most recently some of my images have been used to illustrate a book on carpet weaving in the Mirzapur area. The present weavers trace their origin to weavers Shah Jahan brought from Persia in the 1600s to make carpets for his palace at Allahabad. When bad weather stopped them on their homeward journey they stayed on and shared their craft. After synthetic indigo was invented in Germany the area lost growing indigo as a cash source and carpet weaving became more prominent.

Have been trying to produce a high quality book of the carpet series, but am getting old and slow.... Procrastination day keeps getting postponed.....

Glenn

IMG03983_800.jpg.6c1f1442edc89b0555006c11259b26d6.jpg

Beware the cows..... Think that kick was aimed my way.

IMG04177.jpg.e6698aac231450237a7635721a11d707.jpg

Too bad Fuji Pro400H has been discontinued, I jokingly call it colour Tri-X..... ;-)

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing your photos everyone. This week a couple from the archives again, this time with a cow theme. Both with the same M4 and 21mm Super Angulon. The first is from Kathmandu, Nepal in 1970. The second is from Mamallapuram, South India in 2012. One lesson I've learned is that when you get a good camera don't trade it for a new floozie with fancy bells and whistles.

Arthur, re: your question from last week about my interest in India. I'm one of those people referred to as a Snowbird, we hate the cold and head for warmer climes as winter approaches. Most go to the southern US or Mexico, I chose India and SE Asia. They were warm and living expenses were reasonable, photographic possibilities were exceptional. People loved being photographed and if they saw you had a camera would ask to be photographed. Other photographers have found the country a good place for what I've come to call exotic street, places far from home, H.C.B. and Steve McCurry come to mind.

In time I changed location to a warmer area of Canada, (Vancouver Island) and started a new career in oceanography studying how the Pacific was handling green house gases. Work took me all over Pacific and sometimes to places well off the beaten path, best of all I was even paid to do interesting stuff. I stopped to going to India every winter and spent time exploring the Gulf Islands and building a sailboat I hoped would take me to the South Pacific. After retirement have been able to make a couple more visits to the subcontinent, in 2005 visiting the South, an area I'd largely missed before. Last trip (2012) was to revisit old haunts and see friends I'd met in the seventies.

Most recently some of my images have been used to illustrate a book on carpet weaving in the Mirzapur area. The present weavers trace their origin to weavers Shah Jahan brought from Persia in the 1600s to make carpets for his palace at Allahabad. When bad weather stopped them on their homeward journey they stayed on and shared their craft. After synthetic indigo was invented in Germany the area lost growing indigo as a cash source and carpet weaving became more prominent.

Have been trying to produce a high quality book of the carpet series, but am getting old and slow.... Procrastination day keeps getting postponed.....

Glenn

[ATTACH=full]1416638[/ATTACH]

Beware the cows..... Think that kick was aimed my way.

[ATTACH=full]1416640[/ATTACH]

Too bad Fuji Pro400H has been discontinued, I jokingly call it colour Tri-X..... ;-)

So good, GlennS. I envy you. Thank you. A rich life. Snowbird. I wish you well with your book. My spouse and I have been to India several times (not to happen again in the time of the covid, indeed, we are now wary going down the street to the local shops). I spent some time at Vancouver, with the then IRB, my doctorate - a thankless experience in hindsight). I enjoyed the south of India - Hospet and Hampi. Thank you again. Keep safe. And thanks again. Arthur.