Phone Phriday January 7, 2022

luis triguez

I was in Amsterdam today, visiting my daughter. This was just a 'snap' from the Central Amsterdam Station. 'Normally' (pre-Covid) this square would have been teeming with international tourists, most of whom would have been taking selfies. With the current 'hard' Dutch lockdown (only supermarkets, chemists and takeaway foods are open) combined with international travel restrictions, the only people you see in Amsterdam these days are a few 'natives'.

Amsterdam.thumb.jpg.1d6991e63b621075973bf361e66a6eaa.jpg

• Like 5

Heady days indeed! I'm glad that my photo with the Victoria Hotel brought back such happy memories;).

As a student (more than 45 years ago!), I used to do a lot of hitchhiking. I met so many interesting people when hitching! I'm pleased that people still do.

My only memory of the Victoria Hotel is once attending a 5-day in-house 'management consulting' course there. It was developed and led by someone who our senior HR manager (who also attended the course as an observer) described as a 'complete narcissist'!

Back in the day, I worked for a while in Apeldoorn too (then Philips, later closed). It was a long drive from where I lived (Eindhoven) but the closer I got to Apeldoorn (before the current motorway), the more I enjoyed the scenery.

As a Brit, I of course visited Amsterdam many times. But one of my 2 daughters trained (from the age of 10) as a classical ballet dancer at a 'special' school in Amsterdam. She (and her class) also performed in various ballets in Amsterdam such as 'The Nutcracker (over the Christmas and New Year period). For her college education, she switched to a more general 'dance, drama and song' course, also in Amsterdam and she moved there. So through her, over the past 20 years, I've gotten to know at least some parts of the city quite well. Outside of Covid lockdowns, I still enjoy the atmosphere of Amsterdam. It's very different from more provincial cities in NL. The further you go from the tourist-driven center, the more relaxed and pleasant Amsterdam becomes!

I'd be interested to hear where else you'd hitchhiked to in Europe. Either as a reply or as a PM.

Mike

I lived in Holland for a while back in the day. I worked in Apeldoorn but spend most weekends in Amsterdam. Prior to that, the first night I arrived in the capital I slept under a bush near the Victoria Hotel. I’d been hitchhiking around European, I was skint and my friend was out of town.

Heady days