Photo of the Week - #5 - 10/19/21

Congrats on finding a crop that suits you! The issues I'm seeing are ones you've now introduced with the color and the processing. You have obvious halos along many of your edges (along the border of mountains and sky, along the top of tree trunk against water. You've also got all kinds of extremely saturated color in odd places, like the shadows of the tree toward the roots and most other areas. I see neon blues there especially and lots of swirly reds in other areas. The orange stuff sticking up out of the water looks less like it's catching the sun and more like it's a memory of my college acid trips, lol!

"You talkin' to me?"

Congrats on finding a crop that suits you! The issues I'm seeing are ones you've now introduced with the color and the processing. You have obvious halos along many of your edges (along the border of mountains and sky, along the top of tree trunk against water. You've also got all kinds of extremely saturated color in odd places, like the shadows of the tree toward the roots and most other areas. I see neon blues there especially and lots of swirly reds in other areas. The orange stuff sticking up out of the water looks less like it's catching the sun and more like it's a memory of my college acid trips, lol!

Hi Sam,

There are no mountains in this photo but there is a tree line on the other side of the reservoir.

I repeated post and here is what I did in Camera Raw:

- Enhanced the image,

- Selected Adobe Vivid profile,

- Rotated the image 2° clockwise,

- Reduced white balance to 5000 from 5650 - as shot,

- Contrast + 20,

- Highlights + 10,

- Shadows + 60,

- Blacks + 60,

- Clarity + 20,

- Dehaze + 20,

- Vibrance + 20,

- Optics - Adjusted for lens profile, Canon EOS 40D with EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM,

- Optics – remove chromatic aberration,

- Detail – Sharpening + 150,

- Detail – Noise reduction + 60,

- Detail – color noise reduction = 100,

- Cropped in Photoshop CC.

The color on the stuff (dead tree trunks) sticking up out of the water is from the sunlight at sunset.

The color in the shadows of the tree in the foreground is noise which I have addressed. The neon blues and swirly reds appear to have been noise as well; but I believe that they are history now in this edit. The halos around the tree line also appear to have been noise. I was not as aggressive with noise reduction in prior edits.

I would not know about acid trips. :-)

Thanks again Sam for your great feedback!

Mick

1306681492_201509065DM30584ManasquanReservourMWSC_BWCr1V4.thumb.jpg.971978a9d34aef21929dd97d665ae2b8.jpg