Rating Delta 100 and Tri-X

max_wall

I've never tried Delta films, mostly because I've never liked the look of Kodak's T-Max films. I prefer the look of standard old technology films. I shoot Tri-X and "rate" it at 400 most of the time, with standard development in D76 1:1. That said, I mostly use incident light readings, and rarely give the exact exposure the meter says, because of the color or brightness of the subject, or type and contrast range of the lighting. If need be I'll under-expose a stop or two and increase development time to get a useable negative.

i soup both these days in ddx. frankly i don't care much for delta 100. it always looks quite flat to me. pan f is by far my preferred slow speed b&w film. far better tonal pallette, smaller grain, easier to work with, great depth, etc etc. anyway, when i do use delta 100, i like to spice up the contrast a bit. i rate it, therefore, at about 150 and then increase the development time a bit (it is silly to give actual times, because somuch depends on ph, agitation technique, etc. my rotary times would be irrelevant to a shaker, e.g.). NEW tri-x also goes in the ddx. i find that it needs less development than old tri-x and gets contrasty a lot easier. i don't like the new emulsion as much as the old for this reason. however, the grain signature is preserved, and i suppose that is the most important thing. because of its tendency to get hot, i rate the tri-x pro at 400 and then back off a little on the published (and my historical) dev times. p.s. i really have grown to LOVE ddx!! try it d76 fans.

I'm in complete agreement with Al concerning the new tech films. I still like the looks of Tri-X, HP5+ and Pan F. I shoot mostly HP5+ these days and I rate it at 400. Tri-X is always rated at 400 as well. But I have a tendency to bracket toward overexposure with these films and I've always reduced processing times by 20-25% from what the manufacturer recommends. I guess that means I really rate it at a somewhat lower ISO but 400 would still be my baseline.