And now Leica's info on the MP

Well, it looks like Leica finally got it's sh*t together. I have the very strong feeling that they remember the M5 fiasco well enough to not risk introducing the M7 without having an updated "M4-2" waiting in the wings. The Bessa, together with it's trigger base plate, no doubt were more incentive to not dilly dally with the introduction of a mechanical camera. What I don't understand, at least as far as the pro market, is not having a black chrome finish. It may not be so pretty but it holds up better than any paint. The neatest thing is that the web site promises parts support of the MP for 30 years! I guess that means our M2 and M3 bodies might have a longer life too, if the major assemblies will fit.

For those who are wondering, I understand that the MP price will be $2500 with the M7 price going up to $2700. It will be interesting to see how that affects the price of the M6 on the used market. Those prices have been pretty depressed lately with lots of people apparently selling or trading them in on the M7.

The chrome looks even nicer than the black, IMO. If the improvements in build quality mean it feels as good in the hand as an M2/3/4, then I predict that in the short term, at least, this camera could outsell the M7. I've never bought any new Leica gear yet, but this might be my first.

Interesting to note that the shutter speed dial on the MP is now reverted back to the style of the M6 Classic. I sort of gathered (non-scientifically) that many USERS actually liked the shutter speed dial on the M6 TTL of the Classic...larger dial that spins the right way.

Agreed about the functional appearance, however the shutter speed dial is a mistake! Function over form! The M6 TTL's dial is right near the front face, rotates the correct direction, is large, but could the knurled surface of the MP.

Have you seen that Leica has added a low-battery-warning to the finder information of the MP?

When I sent my M6 classic for its first CLA after nine years of use I still was on my first set of batteries. It came back inserted with a new battery, but I don't think that was necessary, I like to believe that's standard procedure during a CLA.

I read the product info and couldn't get over this one:

"From today's point of view we cannot imagine that the Leica MP will ever be improved. Nevertheless we do guarantee that all services and spare parts will be available at Leica customer service departments for at least thirty afters after a possible model change."

Could it be a clue to something new????

Although the MP just came out, but here's my prediction for the next 15 years.

We'll see an MP-TTL (as in M6 and than the M6-TTL).

We'll see an MP7 (as the M7, but with current MP look.

We'll see the MP4, looks the same as the M4, but Leica wouldn't call it as the M4.

And within these product release timeframe, we will see all kinds of limited, special commemorative editions.

Having downloaded the MP brochure the more I look at the spec etc the more impressed I become. This is absolutely the best Leica since the M4 and re-affirms Leica's position as the true manufacturer of stunning mechanical cameras.<p>This comes after the blips of the awful 'fiddled about with' backward step that was the TTL M6 and the unfourtunate, unfinished marrige of electronics held back by mechanics that is the M7. These two models are poor relations in the Leica family as were the M5 and CL.<p>As I say short of replacing the meter with a delayed action (or maybe in addition to) this is near perfect. What is most incredible is that Leica have paid so much attention it would seem to forums such as this; to quote from the brochure: "And because many Pros love the red Leica dot but discreetly cover it up on their cameras, we have dispensed with this round logo right from the start." They have even listened to the 'black tape' brigade! Also: "A new type of mirror and an additional lens elment...rich in contrast...clearly delinated bright-line frames...even with particularly critical lateral light." At last they listen to the complaints and re-instate the fameous 'removed' lens from the M4/3/2 etc to stop the dreaded flare. And of course the all-metal wind lever we all wanted is back as is a replacement for the awful M6 'leatherette'.<p>All in all I think there is going to be rather a glut of M6TTL's and perhaps even M7's on the secondhand market.

Yes it is a beauty. Removing the flare is the most important plus. I wish they would add back the self timer and then it would be perfect. I will miss the TTL flash capability as that is very nice if you use flash, but I can see the rationale. The chrome looks nicer than the standard chrome. If I get a new M then I would get the 0.85 version. Well done Leica. As other say - let us hope we now get an SL3!
Robin Smith