Taking my photography to the "next level"

Ricochetrider

Strangely enough, I've just discovered this thread which started back in 2020.

First of all, I wish to thank all contributors. And especially @Ricochetrider and @dcstep for their continuing dialoog. I wish both all the best in their publishing careers!

I have absolutely no ambition (or vision or competence) to create photos worthy an exhibition or publication. As a photographer (and sax player), I remain a 'bog amateur'. 

But I love reading how amateur photographers - through their vision, creativity, skills and perseverance - have broken through into to world of exhibitions and publications!

Congrats,

Mike

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, mikemorrellNL said:

Strangely enough, I've just discovered this thread which started back in 2020.

First of all, I wish to thank all contributors. And especially @Ricochetrider and @dcstep for their continuing dialoog. I wish both all the best in their publishing careers!

I have absolutely no ambition (or vision or competence) to create photos worthy an exhibition or publication. As a photographer (and sax player), I remain a 'bog amateur'. 

But I love reading how amateur photographers - through their vision, creativity, skills and perseverance - have broken through into to world of exhibitions and publications!

Congrats,

Mike

Hi MIke, THANKS!

Just to be clear, I harbor no illusions about my "status" as, to use your words, a "bog amateur". I don't have any kind pf plan for becoming a pro... honestly, I'm not even looking for any sort of life as a working photographer. Generally speaking, tho, I don't like to be stagnated in things of interest, or in my deeds and hobbies. FWIW (perhaps not much), even tho this year has been a bit of a bust, I still see myself as wanting to push the (photography) ball down the road. As with everything else, there's always plenty to learn- in my case, I have much to learn about this amazing craft.

If I were to make a list, on the analog side, I'd like to develop my own film. In terms of photography in general, I want to learn post processing, and ultimately I'd really love to create my own prints. One thing I've learned- from looking at the shots I had printed, is that I need to be more cognizant of depth of field and focus. I've learned for sure that seeing things on a phone, and even on a bigger screen like the one on my desktop, is no substitute for a bigger print.

On another side of this whole exhibition thing, a friend of ours texted Cynthia the other day, asking if the photos hanging in the "gallery" spot in Highmark are mine- she was impressed! LOL but at least I know someone is seeing and appreciating my photos!  All in all, I do enjoy photography, pretty much top to bottom. Even with whatever limitations and in spite of any shotcomings in my own work!

image.thumb.jpeg.dde3a5d4973d673a5c78117595e34ece.jpeg

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Excellent! 1

On 11/12/2023 at 5:01 PM, Ricochetrider said:

Hi MIke, THANKS!

Just to be clear, I harbor no illusions about my "status" as, to use your words, a "bog amateur". I don't have any kind pf plan for becoming a pro... honestly, I'm not even looking for any sort of life as a working photographer. Generally speaking, tho, I don't like to be stagnated in things of interest, or in my deeds and hobbies. FWIW (perhaps not much), even tho this year has been a bit of a bust, I still see myself as wanting to push the (photography) ball down the road. As with everything else, there's always plenty to learn- in my case, I have much to learn about this amazing craft.

If I were to make a list, on the analog side, I'd like to develop my own film. In terms of photography in general, I want to learn post processing, and ultimately I'd really love to create my own prints. One thing I've learned- from looking at the shots I had printed, is that I need to be more cognizant of depth of field and focus. I've learned for sure that seeing things on a phone, and even on a bigger screen like the one on my desktop, is no substitute for a bigger print.

On another side of this whole exhibition thing, a friend of ours texted Cynthia the other day, asking if the photos hanging in the "gallery" spot in Highmark are mine- she was impressed! LOL but at least I know someone is seeing and appreciating my photos!  All in all, I do enjoy photography, pretty much top to bottom. Even with whatever limitations and in spite of any shortcomings in my own work!

Hi @Ricochetrider I always love viewing your photos in the various categories that interest you most. And also those in the 'No Words' and 'Critique' threads. It's great to read that you're still motivated to 'push your (photography) ball down the road'! You're dead right that there's always so much more to learn! IHHO both in terms of 'creativity' and 'excellent production'. I totally agree that viewing prints (of whatever size) is a very different experience to viewing photos on a screen!

For the past 5 -7 years, 99% of my own photography has been as a 'voluntary photographer' (people and events) for local not-for-profit organizations. So my main focus has been to be a 'competent'  events photographer rather than creating 'own work'. On your list, I'm OK with digital post-processing. in Lightroom and Photoshop. I usually don't print my photos but organizations that I volunteer for do for flyers, etc.. Recently, I worked with an organization to design a poster and flyers (based on a photo by someone else) for an exhibition of local, amateur 'artworks' in the central library of my home town. On my laptop screen it looked fine but when when we got the poster professionally printed in A2 and A3 paper formats, it looked absolutely amazing! The large format posters hang in the entrance to the library to draw the attention of visitors to the exhibition. This really brought home to what the difference is between the screen and a print!

FWIW (on creativity), years ago I saw an exhibition by a local artist Corry van Hoof. I was blown away by how she'd processed her photos (usually with a color wash) into 3-dimensional constructions. I can't quite remember how we got in contact but in recent years, I've been helping her now and again with 'IT-challenges'. Sometimes e-mailing  photos of her artworks for an upcoming exhibition. Sometimes solving a problem with her printer.  She's in her late 70's and probably early 80's. As she herself says, she still enjoys the 'art' and she's a competent user of the Windows 7 PC connected to her printer. But she struggles with 'new tech' such as Windows 10/11. TBH, we spend more time talking about her recent work and upcoming exhibitions as discussing her 'tech problems'!

If you're interested in her work, you can find some examples via the following links:

- gallery nasty alice

- kunstdrift

Visiting her apartment is amazing! She uses all sorts of materials (including wood,cereal boxes, etc.) to construct a framework onto which she pastes her (color-washed) photos.  Most of her photos are textures and details that she intends to post-process into a 3D-artwork.

She uses a professional A3 color printer. On my most recent visit, I was astounded when she asked "I think I'm going to clean out my appartement. If If I wanted to get rid of my printer, would you like to have it (free)?" I of course said yes!  So I get a new impetus to print A3 photos at home 🙂

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Like 1
  • Very Nice 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 2:02 PM, Ricochetrider said:

Dave, is a “bin print”  just a matted print? Maybe lesser quality than you top end prints? 

Sorry, but I failed to answer the second part to your question. I use I high quality printer (Canon PRO1000, with 12 pigments) and print on high quality, 100% "rag" photo paper, with a weight of 305 or more. So, it's not of lesser quality, just not mounted in any way.