Nikon Z-Mount Lens Roadmap, Updated November 2020

ShunCheung

Are you a happy Z6 or Z7 owner?

The Z6 I have is not perfect, but I am "happy" with it. I used a bucket list trip to Europe that would involve much walking while carrying "everything", not just camera gear, to justify the purchase.

The 14-30, IBIS, and excellent high ISO performance made for a memorable photography experience. In addition to the 14-30, I took a 70-300 AF-P, the Voigt. 40/1.4, Canon 100/3.5, and some other stuff that I wound up mailing back to lighten the load.

Often, I would go out with just the 14-30 and 100/3.5 substituted for the 70-300, or just the 40/1.4 at times.

Prior to the Z6, I had a succession of many DSLRs. I sold my D810 after the trip, kept some of the older bodies. I feel like I get a higher percentage of critically in focus images when using the Z6 on shallow depth of field applications than I did with the D810, and I like the ability to use about any lens on the Z6

Biggest complaint would be that I have not figured out how to shoot sports/fast action with the Z6, but am not shooting sports much any more so I have not spent much time learning to do action with the Z. Still have a D3s, D3x, or D500 that I can use.

• Like 1

Niels,

<snip>

Too bad that I have not been able to find a reasonably priced 20 or 24 mm small and light lens in LTM or M mount to go with the 40 & 100. I do have a Voigtlander 24mm pancake, but it just does not perform as well as I would like.

Thanks Robert,

Good to hear manual focus of old lenses works well.

I have the original Cosina/Voigtlander LTM 21/4 which is wonderfully compact but I am guessing it will have issues due to the oblique angle the light will hit the periphery of the sensor - but I will try of course. I also have an old Nikkor Ai20/3.5 which is relatively small. I think it will work better but will also appear a bit larger when combined with the FZT.

Niels

I have considered the CV 21/4, would not mind trying one out but I think I would come to the same conclusion I did for the 24. The 24 was "OK" with oblique angle "residue" not as bad on the Z6 as it was on the Sony A7 models I had before. The 15-30 is MUCH better, though, enough so to dampen any interest in using the CV24.

One other advantage of using the 15-30 on the Eurotrip at crowded sights: I could move in closer and "crop" out other tourists. Normally, I use a wide angle lens to accentuate the foreground in composition, but the crop feature definitely came in handy.

The CV40/1.4 compliments the Z6 well. I have thought about sawing off some of the generic hood I have on it.

979105370_PXL_20201126_134504645sf.thumb.jpg.4c38fb5a408a8909fa903cfd26404c0e.jpg

• Like 1

I have considered the CV 21/4

Don't! I owned the lens and it was barely correctable when used on an APS-C NEX-6; no chance to correct when using on a Sony A7. There's a new 21/3.5 though that you may want to try out. I replaced my 21/4 with a 21/1.8 - worked well but isn't exactly compact. Also gone now in favor of a Sony 12-24/4 - why bother with primes when you can have a zoom that's as good and does it all?

CV40/1.4

I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to sell that lens...